FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Jess13
Community Member

Yes I feel very alone. I get Chest tightness, heart flutters, sharp pain between my shoulder blades. Nausea. This all mimics a heart attack which adds to my anxiety 

canidothis
Community Member

Nausea, heart palpitations, needing to be closed indoors. 
feelings of self harm 

Gelesa
Community Member

I usually get hands and feet weaknesses that I can't control. There are days when I can't raise a hand in the morning because of the weakness.

Speechless
Community Member

I make fists and dig my nails into my palms, my teeth start to chatter, my eyes get blurry, my breathing gets rapid, legs get jelly, it can feel like the ground is moving and im going to fall over, i freeze up and every muscle in my body tightens it feels.

when im having an anxiety attack, im on the ground or in a bed and curled up with muscle spasms in my gut in tune with my crying and rapid breathing, my whole body fits around - muscles all tense up my feet, my hands i move all about like with tensing up and then releasing and its like that for about half and hour even to an hour. Afterwards i will catch my breath and yawn and then a big breath and feel a sense of relief even if the trigger that made it happen is still present. 

thanks

Hi Speechless,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you go through a wave of symptoms when experiencing anxiety. Similarly, my breathing gets rapid and I feel like someone is standing on my throat when I'm in panic. My muscles with tighten up and spasm also. It is good when this happens to try and practice breathing or relaxation techniques. There are some listed here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/staying-well/relaxation-exercises 

Hope that helps,

Bob

*Marie*
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
When I experience anxiety, one of the most noticeable physical sensations for me is chest tightness. It's a really uncomfortable feeling that can sometimes even lead to panic if I don't address it. I usually use deep breathing. It's the easiest way to regain control of my emotions and reduce the intensity of my chest tightness.

Aussie.Girl
Community Member

It varies, but it can including nausea, a racing heart, shaking hands, feeling tight in my chest and throat etc. 

I think it's different for everyone