FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Uni stress.

Iamawinner
Community Member
It's my first week back st uni and I'm already extremely stressed. I have to meet with my teacher to discus my project like everyone else. I procrastinate a lot and find it really difficult to communicate my ideas. Every time I meet with the teacher and I don't know the answer or I haven't worked it out yet. I will say well I'll just have to work on that more .. but I always always feel him judging me and so when I look at him I get very overwhelmed that he thinks I'm stupid or just a pretty little girl. Or that I haven't put any effort in when 99% of the time I put everything into my uni. And it always makes me hold back tears. A lot of the time I di cry. It's so embarrassing in front of the rest of the class. I'm in my fourth year of uni and this happens every year and with most meetings with teachers. I have panic attacks when it comes to doing my assignments regularly and have so for the last 2-3 years at least. I know I can do it but when I think about not getting the work done I have so many negative thoughts that then cause the panic attacks or close to it. I just hate that everyone else seems to cope with stress so much easier it makes me even more upset!
4 Replies 4

Jugglin_Strugglin
Community Member

Hi winner and welcome to BB forums,

I was at uni for 8 yrs, so know how you feel. I was much the same, leaving essays &I projects til the last minute- usu an all nighter before due date, putting last full stop at precisely the time I had to leave home or commute. It did frustrate me. I knew it was probably not my best work. But it did work for me. I would end up spending less time on an assignment than I would have if better planned or less procrastination, yet still got good grades, so perhaps it was better in the long run. Maybe that is how I coped.

Dont assume that everyone else copes better with stress. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. You'd be surprised I think. Some people may be better at hiding it. I'd bet most people feel like you.

There are quite a few Ted talks on procrastination. Some funny, some insightful. There's likely to be a lot of YouTube vids as well. Perhaps you can find some inspiration to better deal with this, as it seems to cause most of your worries. I am a master, I got away with it at uni, but it continues to throw up hurdles at work and in life, so I am trying myself to do less of this.

You know you can do it, and you have proven it to the teachers and your peers. It is likely they see much worse every year. Better that you care. It might be rewarding to them that you can't help but show it. Much better than talking to someone who couldn't care less and shows it.

I have found we often answer our own questions. Perhaps you can re-read your post in a few weeks or months. You put 99%into your study. Most students aim for a pass of 50%. You are a winner!

Muddlee
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi lamawinner,

Can totally relate. 4th year law student, with anxiety, dealing with the exact some problems you're experiencing. Last week was my first week back. First day I went in was a blinder. Finished the readings for the day, met up with my peer coach (for assistance on procrastination and studying), knocked back a lecture and chilled during the drive home with some lit tunes. Second day in, last for the week, wasn't that satisfied. I had a tutorial in the morning that I hadn't fully prepared for, constantly being distracted by my intrusive thoughts, answered some questions but in very little detail and began to 'zone out' during the last 20 minutes. And then right on schedule came the negative thoughts..."This is just like last year...nothings changed...you'll never be good enough...give it a couple of weeks, you'll be back to your nervous self...you'll be too anxious to string together a sentence for next weeks class..." on and on and on. But then I realised, well wait a second, that's not true. Like you, I've placed these colossal standards on myself to achieve so much. I don't know ONE person in Uni who doesn't procrastinate. It's too normal. And I don't know one student, in my classes at least, who doesn't speak with a little nervousness in their voice. Once again it's completely normal. And it's so totally common for students to freak out and panic with assignments and tests - like the time I had a panic attack the night BEFORE one of my third year exams. But, if you want to improve on these aspects to reduce the tension, stress and anxiety you experience by all means, do that. Here's a few things that helped me improve my GAD, stress, panic and procrastination: gp, therapy, university counsellors, university programs designed specifically for anxiety and depression, peer assisted learning (I know it doesn't sound helpful but it really is!), books (look up Claire Weekes, brilliant author, one of her books (Complete Self Help For Your Nerves) literally changed the direction of my anxiety) and uni counsellors. In combination with some lifestyle changes (more sleep, more exercise, healthy foods, vitamins) you can really reduce the severity and significance of your symptoms (to the point where they don't matter at all!).

Best of wishes

Muddleee

Raynor
Community Member

Hi winner 🙂 I'm new here too. One of my jobs is as a tutor in a university law school. I hope that doesn't freak you out. I was pretty much the same as you as an undergrad but as a teacher I've realised there's a massive gap between what students like us think of academics and who they/we actually are.

I find it helpful to remember that your teachers need the overwhelmingly majority of students to pass (and the more, the better). The majority of them are researchers who are extremely insecure and highly aware about how much they don't know (the more you know, the more you know you don't know), which makes them anxious every time they front a class. I've heard more than one very senior academic describe how they vomit before fronting the first lecture in a semester. Add to that that the fact that their own promotion and future employment prospects are based on how students rank their teaching performance and the result is that most academics are at least as anxious as students. They may have learned to mask their fear well, that's all it is - a mask.

Mudlee's advice is really good too. Take advantage of the services and special considerations available to you. When you graduate, nobody will know or care whether you had a SC so use the system. It's there for you.

Peace- Rayne

MisterM
Community Member
I am in a similar spot.
Last year was my first year of my teaching degree so it was purely my specialty areas of teaching.
This year we move into education units and have placements.
I am overly anxious and stressed out already as there is so much to read in my education units. I am a slow reader and having to read 5 chapter that are 50 pages long is hard. Been at it all day and only read one chapter and one fifth of the second.
Add to that I am terrified and doubting myself thinking I don't have what it takes to be a teacher.
I have a few more weeks before the census date if I want to change to study psychology.
I am so undecided, I couldn't decide over the summer break and thought I'll just continue with teaching.
If I quit then I won't be able to start psychology for a while.