FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First steps to getting help

Saschala
Community Member

Hi everyone , this is the first time posting here , I've decided after tonight's panic attackt at 2 am due to sounds of men talking that I need help

heart racing , nausea , headache , shaking and tight chest ... full of adrenaline , too scared to even wake up my own husband because I'm so fearful 😧 not of him ,but of someone trying to hurt us or him

I guess I've had anxiety my whole life , I was sexually abused by my step dad at 5 years old up untill I was 9

then as a teenager I was held hostage by a group of thugs who broke into the home as I was sleeping at, I was 14 .

I'm a married women with 3 children , I worry about everything but my triggers are crime related - we recently moved into a home with antisocial backyard neighbours, the teenagers who live there have threaten to hurt me and my husband , and since then I won't even go out the back yard ,I'm actually doing my washing inside !

I'm like this tiny little girl who is absolutely terrified of people and I cant trust anyone and I'm absolutely terrified of people who I feel threatened by .

I'm too scared to walk my kids to school which is 5 minutes away because I'm so scared I'll bump into my backyard neighbours and they will hurt me, so I drive them to school , I won't even let my children play in the backyard anymore ,

this is getting so out of control and my own husband doesn't understand what is wrong with me , the control it has over me and how it makes me feel and that that when im scared I'm triggered off and I go into panic .only things that tigger my panic attacks is when im feeling scared , if I hear voices or noises At night if I see someone im scared of, if I'm driving and someone gets to close ,when my husband goes outside to mow the back lawn my anxiety is very high because of my irrational thoughts of the nighbours going to hurt him ,

i felt like I'm losing my mind and I dont want to spend my life like this anymore , I am losing my battle with anxiety and falling into a depression because I have no support around me , my anxiety keeps me inside a lot and I don't have family or many friends , I go weeks without a phn call from anyone and my husband works very long hours , I feel like my poor children are going to hate me because of my anxiety .I know I need some help and this is my first step into getting help and changing my life around

3 Replies 3

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Saschala, welcome to the forums.

I'm glad you courageously took the plunge to share your thoughts and concerns. You have had a lot to cope with and of course, it has taken its toll. Well done for acknowledging that you need help.

What you describe sounds oddly familiar. I have been a PTSD, anxiety, depression sufferer, due to a childhood of physical, emotional abuse and a violent incident of gang rape in late adolescence. It may take years for the damage done to resurface from the depths but it always does. It is not something that just disappears if left unattended. It is a medical condition and should be treated as such or it could deteriorate and infiltrate every area of your life. You deserve to regain some peace of mind and quality of life.

The first step would be to book a long GP appointment. You may need to go on a mental health plan, including subsidized sessions with a counselor/therapist. Perhaps also medication.

Explaining mental conditions to oneself is difficult as they are outside the range of reason and logic. So they're of course even more difficult for those around us to understand. They often say/do the wrong thing or choose to dismiss the issue. Not that they don't care, they just don't know how. As you start treatment, your husband would be given the opportunity to go along with you to an appointment. A chat with a professional often clarifies the situation. You deserve all the TLC and support you can get.

It is a relief to see that you are on the proactive path. Please bear in mind that it is no easy, even road to recovery but with the right help and support, things can and will get better.

Meanwhile, feel free to continue to share/vent your feelings around the forums. They exist to give silent suffering a voice, understanding and support. You'll be cheered on every step of the way.

Here for you.

Thankyou so much

I am surprised how much better I feel after finally voicing my issues , completely judgement free 🙂

today I went into the doctors and I have been referred to see someone , I think I get 10 free visits now

I am so ready to start working on changing my life around , anxiety has taken hold of me for far too long and I felt like a prisoner

i like the idea of my husband going to an appointment with me , he really needs to try and understand me and my feelings

I worry that this won't be enough and I have been thinking of what this or medication doesnt work , what if I'm stuck like this for the rest of my life ...

thankyou for listening to me , it means so much

Hello Saschala

Starwolf's counsel is spot on so I wont repeat all her great advice

I used to have chronic anxiety and I thought I could self heal. I was so wrong

The good news is the severity of the anxiety attacks do reduce over time with the right GP and regular counseling and if your doc thinks meds are a good idea, take them.

Great idea too for your husband to come with you as anxiety is no different to a broken leg or a serious infection...they all require treatment...Anxiety is partially chemically based which makes it similar to a physical issue...

Its difficult for some people to see that we have this awful disorder......especially when they cant see the crutches

Im sorry that you have no support around you as this is an important part of the road to recovery.

It may take a long time and a stack of patience but you wont have these awful feelings for life....

there are many kind people that can be here for you that suffer similar pain Saschala

my kind thoughts

Paul