Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

MessyHeadSpin I have this weird problem that has manifested, associating things I see to sex or something related
  • replies: 7

Hi everyone, Firstly, I'm MessyHeadSpin I'm 31 years old (..I think) and I live in the Gold Coast. I have suffered depression, anxiety, ADHD and a list of other problems but I suppose those are the main ones. I also think I suffer PTSD after years of... View more

Hi everyone, Firstly, I'm MessyHeadSpin I'm 31 years old (..I think) and I live in the Gold Coast. I have suffered depression, anxiety, ADHD and a list of other problems but I suppose those are the main ones. I also think I suffer PTSD after years of horrible life and problems... I've been battling with sleep problems that have caused me a lot of stress and it has affected people around me a lot. Anyway, greetings and thanks for reading my post. So to begin, a little back story about this current issue. I lived with 2 people who ended up being absolutely horrible to me, but whilst I was there and things were 'ok' I was going out with a Japanese girl. My housemate said to me 'when she's making her squeaking noises think of me' ... O.O Ever since that day, I actually had that stuck in my head. It infuriated me a lot and ended up causing big problems in my relationship. I think there is something wrong with me... But now, I have this chronic issue where I associate things that I see to sex or anything related to it... For example, I was looking up Pearly Penile Papules which is a small issue I have, and I saw a suggested video of a popular youtuber who I don't particularly like and there seems to be some part of my brain that wants to associate his face with what I was researching... Now I kind of have the concern that every time I see that persons suggestions in the youtube I'll remember this situation. This kind of thing happens to me all the time like if I'm watching a movie and someone horrible does something sexually abusive to someone or something then I have some paranoia that develops that if I get into a situation that has something even slightly related to just an action they were doing (not the abusive stuff, just a visual or something) that I will think of that if I ever get into a situation like that.. I'm not sure how to make that make it make sense without giving too much detail.... One more example, if my housemates god son is talking about something sexual like boobs or something I don't want him to because I might relate him to boobs and it will ruin my experience later on. It might seem funny, but it's a serious problem for me... I feel like sometimes I have to stick my fingers in my ears and go 'la la la' and get out of there in case someone taints even more of my thoughts. I'm just tired of it and I don't know if anyone has anything helpful to say. I appreciate everyone who reads this and replies. Thank you.

joshbro mood constantly changing
  • replies: 7

Hey, I am a 16 year old maleSo everyday my mood has been changing constantly, multiple times each hour.1 minute i will feel happy and get a sudden burst of energy and then the next minute something little happens and makes me so angry that i want to ... View more

Hey, I am a 16 year old maleSo everyday my mood has been changing constantly, multiple times each hour.1 minute i will feel happy and get a sudden burst of energy and then the next minute something little happens and makes me so angry that i want to explode.Sometimes i feel empty, emotionless and numb, no feeling at all and then I could be feeling anxious.Sometimes my thoughts travel at a million miles an hour and I can't understand them.This effects me in alot of different situations such as social situations sometimes I get very confident and I could take to anyone about anything, and other times I can barley get a word out of my mouthWhat is wrong with me other people i have spoken to dont have this problemThanks for reading :

mermaidgirl Should i start medication?
  • replies: 5

Hi all. Dr has prescribed me to start medication. I am extremely worried about the side effects and what they will do to me. I have convinced myself that I will get them all especially the dizziness as I get dizzy spells anyway when I have anxiety. M... View more

Hi all. Dr has prescribed me to start medication. I am extremely worried about the side effects and what they will do to me. I have convinced myself that I will get them all especially the dizziness as I get dizzy spells anyway when I have anxiety. My thoughts are that I will wait to take them after Christmas when my husband will be home on holidays so I won't feel so uneasy and also so my kids are safe. Should I wait or start now? Tnoughts?

annonymoussss Do i have anxiety?
  • replies: 4

Hi, i feel i have been having more than a few symptoms of anxiety lately and i was wondering if anyone nows of an at least semi reliable online test to see if i need to seek help with these feelings. I have done a few and generally scored moderate to... View more

Hi, i feel i have been having more than a few symptoms of anxiety lately and i was wondering if anyone nows of an at least semi reliable online test to see if i need to seek help with these feelings. I have done a few and generally scored moderate to high chance of anxiety Thank you xx

Jammai ROCD - Relationship OCD
  • replies: 4

Can anyone tell me if there is anyone in Perth WA that can help with Relationship OCD. I have discovered a book called "Love you, Love you not" and I have finally found out that it is a real condition. i just want someone to help me with CBT in tryin... View more

Can anyone tell me if there is anyone in Perth WA that can help with Relationship OCD. I have discovered a book called "Love you, Love you not" and I have finally found out that it is a real condition. i just want someone to help me with CBT in trying to control the thoughts that I get. Would really find any feedback very helpful regards Jammai

blondguy Having Difficulty Telling the Boss About Your Anxiety? Try this! (New Posters Welcome!)
  • replies: 18

Hi Everybody. This is just one tip that may help save your job and reduce work related anxiety too! I had many years of GAD (free floating anxiety) and employers just never understood or cared. Unfortunately profit comes first before a junior or seni... View more

Hi Everybody. This is just one tip that may help save your job and reduce work related anxiety too! I had many years of GAD (free floating anxiety) and employers just never understood or cared. Unfortunately profit comes first before a junior or senior employee with an anxiety disorder (not always of course...there are 'some' decent employers that understand) If you are stuck explaining your anxiety to your manager/supervisor let them know that you have 'this occasional claustrophobic condition' that you get 'even in big spaces'. I have used it successfully many times...It may help you stay employed where telling the truth is not an option This works because there is the stigma associated with 'GAD' or 'Anxiety' or 'Panic Attacks' This works because managers understand what claustrophobia is....'they get it' If you have a meeting or a car trip as a passenger and your anxiety is spiking....let them know about your 'Claustrophobia' not your Anxiety Your job security will be enhanced as 'Claustrophobia' is very understood....Mental Illness unfortunately isnt..........yet... If you have pro-active managers that are understanding re mental illness then please ignore this post....(and good on you!) This post is for people that suffer anxiety disorder that may lose their job/career and need a more 'comfortable' way of explaining it Your thoughts/opinions/queries on this method of informing non caring employers are Welcome! Thankyou for taking the time to read my post my kind thoughts Paul

newnat Boyfriend has significant stress/undiagnosed anxiety.. feel like i'm going crazy
  • replies: 2

Hi all, I live with my boyfriend, who after another bad fight, agreed to go to the doctor and start seeing a counsellor. Which is good he's seen a GP, but it took us months to get him help (or months for me to keep reminding him). I just feel like i'... View more

Hi all, I live with my boyfriend, who after another bad fight, agreed to go to the doctor and start seeing a counsellor. Which is good he's seen a GP, but it took us months to get him help (or months for me to keep reminding him). I just feel like i'm going crazy some days. I feel more and more resentful, losing empathy & respect for his condition, I need regular distance from him to stay afloat myself (trying to start my own business and was studying and working full time doing 80+ work a week 3 weeks ago). It was not so bad at the start, but now he dips several times a day, every day, causing regular fights 3-4 x a week, especially when we are out in public and there are many uncontrollable variables. He doesn't have a diagnosis, but he has severe mood swings several times a day based on what he refers to as his stress. When he feels any sort of pressure, plans need to change, anything happens he can't control, for example when he's cooking, working etc. He get's extremely stressed. He says he can't think. He also says things he says doesn't mean; becoming occasionally very nasty. We have occasional fights because he needs to relax and if I say that "I feel tired" or "I feel x" he gets very defensive and we end up arguing for hours (often 3 hours plus) for him to understand me. Some days I honestly feel like i'm going crazy. I hate to be negative and say "I can't talk to him", but i've been with him for 11 months, and we've had many discussions about how to talk to each other, the best way to talk about our feelings- and every single time (not an exaggeration) i've sat down to talk to him, it's lead to him getting extremely stressed. For hours, he will sit in silence, start hitting himself, want to talk to me defensively etc. It's gotten to the point now where I feel he is barely functioning, and we are barely functioning together. I insist on avoiding his triggers which just upsets him (I understand some of this is self blame but it is extremely draining). For example, cooking stresses him out to the point of yelling, then going quiet, not wanting to talk etc. So I suggest that I cook, which just angers him, as I work more than him already. Work stresses him out, so I suggest he ask work to accomodate for him, but he feels ashamed (understandably). But I just get an unhappy, depressed person every time he comes home. I feel like I will have to see a counsellor to feel sane in this relationship... someone who I can talk honestly

Tony3 constant worries relating to heart problems
  • replies: 8

Hi everyone I am new to this forum, and would like to share my problem with you since I have no one to talk to My name is Tony; and I have anxiety and OCD for 8 years. I have severe hypochondria and constantly worry about my heart I have all the symp... View more

Hi everyone I am new to this forum, and would like to share my problem with you since I have no one to talk to My name is Tony; and I have anxiety and OCD for 8 years. I have severe hypochondria and constantly worry about my heart I have all the symptoms including chest pain, difficulty breathing, shoulder pain and neck pain. I went to the ER twice in one month and they said I was fine but symptoms won't stop so I went to gp and got a ECG and chest xray. X ray result came back fine but ECG said I got sinus tachycardia so I got worried and went to see a cardiologist to do a stress test and he told me I have sinus tachycardia to but no abnormal heartbeat or anything he said it was fine after that I had another chest x ray and they said I was fine and the the sinus tachycardia was just relating to anxiety but I still keep worrying its ruining my life Is there anyone like me and can you Please help me thanks in advance

Moonstruck So hard to work today but I'm not sick!! It's "just" anxiety!!
  • replies: 3

Oh God it is so hard today. I work part time casual from home, so no-one to bounce things off or talk to. It's like trudging through deep heavy snow - I am doing a little bit at a time..I have put off starting the work over and over, saying to myself... View more

Oh God it is so hard today. I work part time casual from home, so no-one to bounce things off or talk to. It's like trudging through deep heavy snow - I am doing a little bit at a time..I have put off starting the work over and over, saying to myself "You're not well today, it's OK to have a day off, or take it easy for a while" People do it for flu etc..all sorts of things! But I'm perfectly fine. I have no excuse. My boss is quite elderly, very tiny staff, no one else to do my tasks, I have been long time ever reliable, high functioning "go to" person for him. Business is floundering. I have finally, finally recognised the incredible Stress, much more extra stress and expectations piled onto me and said next year will be my last one (if the business is still going ) It could wind up tomorrow...I wouldn't care! but my sense of responsibility is so huge, I feel enormous guilt just slacking off more than I should lately. (I only get paid for hours I work but still feel guilt). No one knows the toll this work is taking, has taken on me. I had to go to Centrelink some years ago when I was very ill, physically as well as mentally......and they want us to work as many hours as possible, so I have been doing that and reporting earnings etc of course - all above board. They have no problem with my giving up work entirely if I have to, thank God, so I am not worried about hassles with them. It is "letting down" the boss. I can't do it any more. I can't put on this front any more of being so capable, so professional, so reliable. I don't enjoy one single minute of my job any more. I feel guilty about even posting this - instead of putting my mind, my jumbled overloaded stressed out mind to doing the work required of me. (it involves my personal input, not just copying data which I could do as I wouldn't have to "think" so much as I have to now, to do the work to my usual standard). I have family and personal problems that are much more important and find it impossible to switch off and concentrate on the work I have piling up to do. How do people with severe anxiety and depression "take a day off" - they can't!! I look the same, I sound the same - I have to - because my job sometimes involves talking to people, either face to face or on the phone!! does anyone have any advice to help me through today and the next few days......I feel buried under a sort of "mountain"........

Tamara9 Anxiety
  • replies: 6

Hi i suffer really bad anxiety and panic attacks for the last few weeks its been really bad at night time to the point im spewing every night and not eating any suggestion

Hi i suffer really bad anxiety and panic attacks for the last few weeks its been really bad at night time to the point im spewing every night and not eating any suggestion