FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PMT anxiety/panic attacks/overthinking/constant chatter

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

I am 46 and have always suffered anxiety on and off. The last few months I have had triggers that caused anxiety and I will have a particular thing that I panic and worry about. I have started to notice that it happens more around that time of the month. I do suffer other pmt symptoms but am noticing a pattern with the anxiety now. There will be a trigger, I will feel panic/anxiety during the day and wake at times during the night as i constantly think negative things about it about. It will then it will lift, like a dark cloud has been removed from my mind and I think more rationally and of positive things re what I am anxious about and tell myself how silly I was being. I will then feel ok and more upbeat until the negative talk sets in again-i.e when I wake the next morning. When this happens I try to remember that I was feeling ok and why I was feeling ok and that it is the anxiety making me think negatively but it is an ongoing cycle. I know hormones play a part in this. I have a dr apt next week but I am assuming it is hormone related as my last few anxiety/panic attacks have been around the time of the month. My cycles etc are also changing.

I am taking magnesium and B6 now and drinking chamomile and green tea.

Has anyone been though this or had experience with pmt anxiety.

cmf

22 Replies 22

BballJ
Community Member

Hi CMF,

As a male I can't comment on the PMT Anxiety however I can comment on the symptoms of your anxiety/panic attacks/overthinking. My biggest cloud regarding anxiety is exactly what you described, Focusing on one thing, over thinking about it, having a panic attack and then all of a sudden the dark cloud you mentioned does disappear and you look at the situation rationally, and in a more positive light I guess and it goes away but it creeps back up out of no where. This has been the backbone of my anxiety for years and I am now learning to control It, medication is helping that and seeing a psychologist finally to work through all my "triggers" should hopefully help.

I am interested in your magnesium and b6, have you found this helps with your anxiety?

My best for you CMF.

Jay

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jay,

i started them together 2 days ago. On both days I had the cloud lift in the afternoon. I did also drink green tea at that time. Today I am feeling better so far but don't know if it's the magnesium/b6, the green tea or my hormones shifting. I will keep you posted as to how it's going and what my dr says.

cmf

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Can't move forward,

Thanks for posting.
Certainly hormones can play a big part in our anxiety levels and I hope
the Doctor is able to provide a bit of insight for you into why this is
happening and offer some suggestions.

In the meantime though,
what sort of techniques have you tried for your anxiety when it does come on in
the morning? Certainly it can feel like a dark cloud and even though you
may not be able to stop it (at first) you might be able to reduce the impact
that it has on you.

I know from experience
it's very easy to say "oh how silly I was being", but in that moment
our anxiety feels very real so it helps to try to develop different techniques
and strategies to help calm your mind and make that dark cloud a little
lighter. Certainly breathing techniques can be very useful, or
mindfulness, meditations - or even just checking your thoughts and reminding
yourself of the facts not letting your brain jump to conclusions.

If you can, try and give
yourself a little bit of compassion when the anxiety comes on; if you know it's
going to happen - see what it would be like to 'allow it'. Learning to
cultivate a non-judgmental practice can help enormously.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you romantic thi3f,

As I have kids to get ready in the morning I'm pretty much up and at it quite early.  I do sometimes lay in bed a little and just try to 'be'. I try and focus on tasks at hand and continue my day as necessary.

I will try what you suggested.

cmf

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
not feeling great today. tired, drained, pre menstrual, confused

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi cmf,

Thanks for writing back. I'm not sure if you're aware but often people assume meditation/mindfulness/breathing type exercises need to be done cross legged on the floor - this is definately not the case! Ultimately it's about finding what works for you.

What sort of techniques are you using now when you're feeling this way?

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

Besides trying to focus on other things and or go for a walk I have started brain training games. I find them a good distraction as I need to concentrate on them. I love jigsaw puzzles, big ones 1000 plus pieces but its a bit hard with a 3 year old. I used to really zone out in my younger days with jigsaws. I could sit for hours on end.

cmf

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi cmf,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling. I presume by now you will have had the Doctor's appointment that you mentioned earlier; was that helpful?

Brain training games are a great way to focus your brain. I have a few that I like to play including Peak and TanZen. Which ones do you enjoy?

Hope that you were able to get a bit of direction and some relief with your anxiety.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi

well I though I was better but crashed this evening. I was going to cancel the dr, it's this Thursday, but have decided I should go. I use fit brains for brain training but I may look at the ones you suggested.

im pretty down atm. Few things on my mind and a lot on my plate.

thx for checking in, much appreciated.

cmf