FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying to enjoy myself but it's Hard!!

KFPDW
Community Member

Ok, I've been trying to do things that help me relax more so I'm not constantly worked up all the time with my anxiety. Like I have been playing this game where there's a racing mini game which I won the first round for going back to play the rest of the game. When I finished the rest of it I went back to the racing part, I told myself that I wasn't bothered if I lost because I already beaten it. So I played the mini game again and I lost and I still got annoyed about it. And I don't know why because I feel like I shouldn't be annoyed but I am. And the thing is I'm able to win the mini-game over and over afterwards. But my mind is still stuck on the fact I lost. I want to be able to enjoy playing games and do other things without having to worry about winning or losing all the time. Why is this happening? Even when I give myself permission saying it's ok if I do lose?

5 Replies 5

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi KFPDW,

I'm sorry for your challenge. I see your efforts and I do understand your frustation.

I think playing video game is not a good idea for easing your anxiety. Maybe you should try to switch to activities that can help you calm down and feel the inner peace.  For me the most effective way is to put myself in the nature, especially camping or hiking. Hope you will find your way.

Mark

KFPDW
Community Member

Thanks Mark Z for responding to my post. I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Sorry for the delayed response. Been a busy Week for me. 🙂 I'll take your advice on board and keep that in mind. 🙂

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

No problem KFPDW.

I'm also busy on weekdays. I used to be reluctant to go to bed after a late day at work, so I played games or watched movies until midnight. This sucks, my body was in a vicious cycle. I tried adjusting my routine and found it to be very useful. When I started to sleep early (at 9:30pm) and week up early (at 5am), I find that I have 2.5 hours of very quiet, energetic, undisturbed time in the morning. I can do whatever I like such as reading a book or some news, making myself an espresso and sitting by the window and listening to the birds while enjoying it, having a walk in the park and neighbourhood nearby, etc. Setting up my new morning routine makes me start to expect the beginning of each new day. 

Hope it helps a little bit.

Mark

gloria10
Community Member

Hi KFPDW

Its great that you reached out and sorry that this has been challenging.

I understand the frustration when it comes to gaming, I remember spending a lot of hours trying to get that next level and it can be stressful.  I decided to stop completely about a year ago when it was affecting my wrist. I do miss it, but not enough to by another console

It can be good to sometimes walk away from the game for a while to have a break and understand why its bothering you, which is why its great you've come to beyond blue.

When gaming got frustrating, I found that by taking a break and going for a walk helped me to think a bit clearer and by the time I got home my mind was more relaxed.

Also, sometimes getting to the cause of why we feel a certain way can be helped by seeing a counselor. I hope you find some peace and can enjoy your hobbies again.

Gloria 10 

KFPDW
Community Member

Thanks Gloria10 for responding to my post. Taking a break from a game that is frustrating does sound like a good idea and I will take that onboard. It might help clear my head and make it easier to play in the future.

I will keep working on my mental health too so thanks for the advice and I hope you have a great Christmas. 🙂