FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

SPECT

MwilliamD
Community Member

I am very interested in getting an SPECT scan and sending it to Amen clinic for evaluation. 

The trouble is the imaging centre wants a local referral. 

Anyone else do this?

If so, how did you proceed?.

I assume it will be expensive and I will have to pay out of pocket and I am. OK with that.

Any help would be appreciated 

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear MwilliamD

I'd like to welcome you here to the Support Forum. I'd also like to apologize for the wait in getting any response. This is a very frustrating thing, but sometimes the system does not work as we would wish. Please rest assured that it is the system, not you, that has caused the delay.

Before saying anything else I'd like to point out I"m no doctor and have no peronal experience with SPECT scans. While you do not say what has made you think of this action I'd presume it is from an anxiety condition as you have posted in the Anxiety area.

Anxiety is something I'm very familiar with having had this condition, now under control, for many years. If I've presumed wrong I apologize.

On reading your post There are a couple of points I'd like to make. Looking at the Amen Clinic website it does not list any Australian practices which would mean that in order to receive treatment based on any such scan wiht them it would either involve you traveling to the Amen clinic overseas or having a local medical practitioner specializing in this process act on the results by remote so to speak.

As you probably know SPECT scans are already done in Australia, the Royal Melbourne Children's Hospital for example.

Do you think, provided you are determined on this course of action, it might be easier to find an Australian practitioner?

As far as I can see from looking at this Forum's search function the references to SPECT are not common, and in fact Beyond Blue's own paper:

A guide to what works for anxiety: an evidence-based review (PDF, 4132KB).

does not mention this process.

Looking back on my own experience there were a lot of times where conventional medication and therapy did not seem to be making enough difference, and I might have been tempted to try alternative, however by changing meds and therapies over the years I've now found a regimen and therapy that suits me and does not have appreciable side effects.

I would like it if you came back and offered your thoughts

Croix

Lenscap
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MwilliamD,

Learning about the body, physiology and neuroscience can be fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable.

There is an extensive literature for you to explore and the first port of call for all advice about medical procedures should be a local GP that you feel comfortable talking to.

They really are the gatekeepers for all healthcare outside the hospital context. They are typically very good at listening to problems and exploring what solutions are available for you.

It took me a few tries to get a GP I could connect with, but Im very glad I persevered.