FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social anxiety

123hank
Community Member

Hi all 

Im 20 yrs old and this past year or so I have been feeling overly anxious around my mates. Sometimes I spend days leading upto events just trying to control my emotions which then interrupts my work cause I can’t think straight. At the events or gathering sometimes I feel really anxious so I don’t really speak and then I start feeling overwhelmed and more anxious and feels like I’m in a spotlight. I’m so grateful for all the people around me and I would hate to lose relationships because of this but sometimes it feels like I just can’t help it , I could not show up but I feel like a coward. Just needed to share this to get it off my chest and I hope someone can benefit from this message 

thank you wish you all the best

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear 123hank 
 I’m Sophie from the Beyond Blue Forums
Thank you for your post. We can hear that you are really struggling, and we want to let you know that the Beyond Blue Support Service is here for you. If you’d like to talk through any of this with our team, we invite you to call or chat to one of our trained mental health professionals; it’s completely confidential and available 24/7. You can contact Beyond Blue either via phone on 1300 22 4636 or via our Webchat service at the following link: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/support-service/chat

Warm Regards, and please keep safe.

Sophie_M

LVB
Community Member

Hello 123hank - what you're going through sounds really tough, and I just wished to acknowledge your being proactive in challenging what's happening, by adding to this forum and sharing your story.  The way that you acknowledge 'all the people around me', suggests how much you value those individuals/groups/mates - would you be able to share with someone you are closest to what happens when you encounter this anxiety?

123hank
Community Member

Hi LVB

i appreciate the reply and I think I’m gonna try and see a therapist/counsellor so I can get it off my chest and start to feel better thank you 🙏