FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social anxiety to loneliness

Coco18-8
Community Member
Hi, I just wanted to say that I feel so anxious right now because I just got home from work and had to walk behind three girls awkwardly and another situation was me and this other girl had to wait together and I tried to make small talk but messed it all up. Was very awkward. It feels anything I ever do is awkward and eveyone at my work is so close and friends and I’m this outsider. I’ve been here for a year so it’s not like because I’m new. And I told my dad I literally have no friends and he was like that’s what you said a year ago. Then it really put it in perspective I’m never going to have more friends I’m incapable of making them and will be alone forever. I love my friends now but I know after we graduate I will loose half of them and I’ll be even more alone then I imagine myself to be alone for the future. I just want a friends at work and just makes me think this is how my life will be for the rest of my life . No more new friends , just lonliness. Idk why put I just can’t escape the fear of being alone and it’s making me have the fear of making friendships
3 Replies 3

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Coco 18 8,

Sorry you are feeling this way

Its ok….. you will make new friends…. People come and go in our lives but the right ones stay…… these people are your people…

Think positive believe you are going to make some lovely friendships in your life.

Here to chat

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Coco18-8 Thankyou for your Post and welcome

I have definitely been in similar situations with social anxiety and its uncomfortable. Most of the time i found that
I was reading into it alot and it was not as bad as i thought we are often harsh on ourselves....Be Kind to yourself

If you havent made friends with these people at your work then maybe they are not the type of friends that you want....The right people in your life come easily and they stay. You will make friends you just havent met the right people yet
Its very common to lose alot of friends after graduate but a small handful of friends will stay close to you

Please remember you dont need alot of friends......Its Quality, NOT quantity 🙂
People come and go in life but a small few will hang around

Our community is here for you and if you ever want to chat with a Beyond Blue counsellor, we’re on 1300 22 4636 or you can reach us on webchat here. It can really help to talk things like this through
Please remember to reach out whenever you need to

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Coco,

I am really sorry about what you are going through. I understand how you feel.

Social anxiety can be so difficult. Especially when trying to make new friends.

I recently graduated and one thing I learnt was that all my past friends were just existent. I never truly loved them. I only realised after, that I only need 1 best friend to truly reach my full potential. As HappyHelper88 said, it is quality over quantity.

Everything will change after you graduate, but not in a bad way, an amazing way. You will accomplish great things and start to go into the real world.

You will be okay and I know it.

Please stay safe and i am always here to chat.