FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelmed

PeachPenguin
Community Member

Hi everyone

Feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. My father has suddenly become ill (I’m an only child and my mother passed some years ago, therefore I’m his only immediate family), a couple of weeks ago my partner was hospitalised, he is fully recovered now. My job is also quite high pressure and although my manager is really supportive it causes me a significant amount of stress.

I just feel like I can’t catch a break at the moment!

I’ve reached out to my EAP service through work which has been somewhat helpful however I just feel my general resilience is decreasing.

Would love to hear about any helpful coping strategies, advice or anything to get me out of this slump.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi PeachPenguin,

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing so openly, that’s a really brave and proactive thing to do. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really difficult time with a lot going on, and it’s so important to be kind to yourself while you work through it.

Our lovely community members will be able to relate to a lot of what you’ve been going through and be able to share some of the wisdoms that have helped them. We’re sure they’ll spot your thread and share their perspectives here soon. In the meantime, here’s some things you might like to look at: We hope you know that the Beyond Blue line is here for you on 1300 22 4636 (or on webchat here 11am-midnight AEST). So are our friends over at Grief Line on 1300 845 745 (6am-midnight AEST).  

Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Thanks Sophie.

Yep, it’s been a roller coaster but trying to stay optimistic where possible.

I’ll have a look at some of the resources you’ve provided. Look forward to receiving some member responses soon too.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi PeachPenguin,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way, I understand it’s difficult.

Sorry to hear of your mums passing and I hope your Dad is ok. I’m glad your husband has recovered.

It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment.

Try to slow down your breathing … our breath is always with us when you feel overwhelmed try to follow your breath use it as an anchor..

Practice mindfulness

Have you ever tried meditation? I like the guided meditations…

You could make an appointment with your gp let your gp know how you are feeling, you could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many coping strategies.