FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

So emotional - I cry at the drop of a hat

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't even know if it's anxiety related or not. I didn't used to cry when anxious, and I've had anxiety for over a decade, but now when I'm anxious I cry. But even sometimes when I'm not. Today I cried twice when people were talking to me. I've been stressed a bit lately, but I thought I was feeling fine today, so it was unexpected.

Anyone else have any experience of this that they want to share. Sharing can help normalise our experiences, but also if you have any techniques to stop it, or ways to handle it, that would be cool to hear too. Thanks

18 Replies 18

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi Katy

This big burly man used to cry so easily it made working with men very embarrassing back in the macho days.

It wasn't until 2009 that I was diagnosed with dysthymia. I'm not saying you have that but dysthymia and other illnesses can give you those symptoms.

Like any illness start with a professional diagnosis.

TonyWK

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Katy I find myself crying a lot.Sometimes it' something that' triggered me or sometimes it' just from sheer loneliness.You are not alone with crying at a drop of a hat.It happens to lots of us.Just shows what a sensitive caring person you are.

Tale care,

Mark.

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi Katy. I cry a lot too, I think it's common.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, you're always supportive to others. You need to take some for yourself too.

Hugs, we're thinking of you and we're here for you.

Think of how loved and appreciated you are to many here.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Katy..

Like everyone else who has replied to you...I also cry a lot...I think most people who struggle with mh are very sensitive...and cry a lot...in public and when I’m home...I feel it’s nothing to be ashamed off...because it who we are..

Hugs Dear Katy...

Grandy..

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Katy, a sad thread, but it's true males cry even watching a cartoon, an ad or a program on TV they usually wouldn't, and often asked 'what are you crying at', and then, later on, made fun of by telling other people making the situation worse.

One reason why you might cry when talking to people maybe for several reasons, perhaps you have been cornered by these people talking about why or how you are feeling today, branching onto a subject you least wanted to discuss or that they are only trying to find out information, not only for themselves but to spread around, something you certainly wouldn't expect, so you maybe tempted to cry and not for any unjust reason.

Being anxious makes you uncertain of what you might be anticipating someone may say, wrongly or in their own opinion, far from the truth, so this will make you susceptible and on edge with the possibility of needing to cry.

You may even cry when someone you like walks into a room or comes over and cuddles you, that's the compassion you're looking for, so please don't worry about showing your emotions, that's who you are and be proud of yourself.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Katy

Being a highly sensitive woman; I can cry at the drop of a hat. There can be quite a variety of triggers - empathy/another's pain, overwhelming stress, a memory/thought and the list goes on. When there's some seriously convincing acting going on in some movie, I can easily sob my way through just about the entire movie. Being a 'feeler', I feel just about everything, unless I've chosen to be detached, for one reason or another.

To be an observer of our emotion is definitely a wonderful experience at times. By wonderful, I don't mean fantastic, I mean full of wonder. 'I wonder why I feel so much anger. I wonder why I feel so stressed or anxious. I wonder why I feel such deep compassion' and so on. I figure, if we were taught from a young age how to manage and understand our emotions there wouldn't be so much wondering to do. Typically, we're conditioned to suppress emotion rather than understand it. We're typically conditioned to keep our feelings to our self, rather than freely express them for relevant analysis and self understanding.

So, here you are wondering and analysing, 2 potentially liberating traits of a sensitive person. I've found that when I cry I'm typically either venting or connecting. For me, if the crying is stress related, I'm venting that build up of energy that comes with stress. If the crying is empathy related, I'm deeply connecting to that person I'm feeling for. Actually, sometimes I'll cry when I don't understand what a particular challenge in life is about. I suppose you'd call that crying (out) in frustration. This tends to only happen with those kind of life altering challenges that can cycle around and around in some potentially depressing way. With these, the revelations can be slow coming.

I've spent years coming to gradually understand the nature of my emotions or feelings, through a heck of a lot of analysis. I suppose you could say my goal has been to analyse the hell out of them in order to reach the heaven in them, that liberating aspect. Self understanding is one of the ways I manage not returning to depression. It's one of the ways I manage to raise myself.

It is said that to feel our way through life and trust our feelings as our compass (that they're telling us something) is what strengthens our intuition and sense of direction.

🙂

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thankyou all for sharing your experiences. That's one of the things I love most about the forums, the generosity of people sharing of themselves.

I'm still on the journey of self acceptance, and this is just another layer to that. I had worried yesterday that I made people uncomfortable by crying, but it also allowed for us to have more of a real conversation than we otherwise would have, and there's a lot of value in that. As one said, quite simply "god gave us tear ducts for a reason".

And here I am crying again. Thanks all. Katy

A few links for you Katy

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/crying-let-it-all-out#qnd1anHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/acceptance--is-this-our-biggest-challenge-#qjLiyHHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/depression/depression-and-sensitivity---a-connection-#qf8Qg3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/do-we-expect-a-smooth-road-in-life#qjBfxnHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

regards TonyWK

Katy I have cried a loss since the effects of the fires.

I cry when peop,ex ask me a question, I cry when I think people are rude.

I once sat on the grass on the way home after shopping.

Once I really cried tears from the pit of my gut, long and hard and it felt good.

no answers but I am queen of tears.