Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

PsychedelicFur Crying doesn’t come easy anymore
  • replies: 2

Hello all. PsychedelicFur here. Hope you are all well. Crying does not come easy to me anymore. After starting my new antidepressants about four or so months ago - crying has become extremely difficult for me. I have always been a highly emotional pe... View more

Hello all. PsychedelicFur here. Hope you are all well. Crying does not come easy to me anymore. After starting my new antidepressants about four or so months ago - crying has become extremely difficult for me. I have always been a highly emotional person and I have always been very much in touch with my inner thoughts and feelings. And it makes me really upset because now I find it difficult to release any sad or intrusive thoughts through tears. And recently, I have heard that this is a side affect of anxiety medication. I feel extremely numb. And it’s bothering me. Because I want to cry. I want to be able to let out my emotions in a healthy way. Because after I cried I would ALWAYS feel cleansed and refreshed. It was as though I was letting out the bad toxins from my body. And now it doesn’t come easy to me anymore. I have to sort of force it, in a way. PF.

EIIot I keep on saying things I don't mean
  • replies: 3

I keep on saying things I don't mean then I get judged by everyone because they took what I said out of context. I always get really bad anxiety when this happens and I'm so confused on why I keep doing it even though I'll get anxiety from it. I alwa... View more

I keep on saying things I don't mean then I get judged by everyone because they took what I said out of context. I always get really bad anxiety when this happens and I'm so confused on why I keep doing it even though I'll get anxiety from it. I always say the wrong things and I'm always ashamed of myself so I always hate myself then I think everyone hates me so I cut all contact with people and then they think I hate them. I hate myself for this and I really wish I knew how to make people understand or find ways too understand people better so I don't say the wrong things.

Guest_2957 Anxiety taking over my life
  • replies: 3

How do you stop anxiety destroying everything I reached out and talked to a counsellor on here but now freaking out what sort of personal information does she know about me , can she access my profile, know my last name etc , I'm scared that I reache... View more

How do you stop anxiety destroying everything I reached out and talked to a counsellor on here but now freaking out what sort of personal information does she know about me , can she access my profile, know my last name etc , I'm scared that I reached out and feel I shouldn't of I'm just scared of bad things happening all the time , I'm scared of driving i won't really drive unless someone else in the car , I'm scared i will do the wrong thing always, I'm scared I'm not a good enough mum or partner I feel overwhelmed and im even feeling scared posting on here I don't enjoy life because I feel im holding my breath all the time waiting for something bad to happen

MammaOf3 Anxious about sudden memory loss while driving
  • replies: 4

Hello A weird thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving with my daughter in the car on a very familiar route (I drive it about 3 times per week). As I was approaching a familiar intersection, for a split second I didn’t know where I was. I looked... View more

Hello A weird thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving with my daughter in the car on a very familiar route (I drive it about 3 times per week). As I was approaching a familiar intersection, for a split second I didn’t know where I was. I looked around and immediately I remembered where I was and continued the journey but it kind of freaked me out because it was so weird. I’m 40 years old, healthy, very active and have no issues with memory. I have 3 kids so sometimes I have too much going on and tend to occasionally forget stuff but I think it’s normal. There is no history of dementia or Alzheimer’s in the family. I suffered from anxiety a couple of years ago and this incident has been on my mind since it happened. I tend to overthink things and worry too much so I don’t really want to end up anxious because of what happened yesterday. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Does it look like I was just day dreaming and distracted? Or could there by anything else going on? I don’t really want to go to the doctors as I doubt they would do much, but I would like to put my mind in ease. Thanks for reading this.

SiobhanW Medication
  • replies: 5

Hello! I dont know if this is the right criteria to do this in, but, I've been taking some medication for anxiety/ suicidial ideations. I am starting to feel ashamed of having my medication. Any suggestions? I am on a low dose, it was making me happy... View more

Hello! I dont know if this is the right criteria to do this in, but, I've been taking some medication for anxiety/ suicidial ideations. I am starting to feel ashamed of having my medication. Any suggestions? I am on a low dose, it was making me happy and it still boosts my mood. I know i am in a dark place, because I have had days forgetting my medication and I feel suicidial and anxious straight away. Anyone have any suggestions on how to not feel ashamed and anxious about taking it??

Kally_jo How to deal with anxiety at parties

On this weekend I have a Christmas party coming up. I get abit nervous at parties and there’s been a couple of times when I have nearly passed out at parties and other social events because I’m an introvert and loud talking and noises get a bit much ... View more

On this weekend I have a Christmas party coming up. I get abit nervous at parties and there’s been a couple of times when I have nearly passed out at parties and other social events because I’m an introvert and loud talking and noises get a bit much because I get sinus headaches easily when there’s a lot of noise. There was a time at my aunt’s birthday party I started getting a really bad sinus headache because there were several people talking and the next minute I started seeing black cloudy spots. My aunt was aware of my dizzy spell so she walked me upstairs to the lounge room and told me to lie down for a bit. The second time I had a dizzy spell at a baby shower and I was nervous about passing out in front of people so I went to sit in the front yard alone. How do I deal with anxiety at parties?

JSP Relationship between anxiety and eating disorders.

I have a question for those who have knowledge of eating disorders. I have never been diagnosed with, or felt like I had an eating disorder, but what I do have is anxiety. It started running wild a few months ago after lying dormant for a little bit.... View more

I have a question for those who have knowledge of eating disorders. I have never been diagnosed with, or felt like I had an eating disorder, but what I do have is anxiety. It started running wild a few months ago after lying dormant for a little bit. When I lost control, it destroyed my relationship with food and I haven't really recovered even though the anxiety is receding. I lost 8kg in 1-2 months and am now the lightest I have been in 6 years. I still struggle to keep meals down (especially lunches) and I don't even try to have breakfast due to lack of appetite in the mornings. I want to eat, I want to gain weight, but at the same time I can't deny that I like how I look at the moment (not that I hated myself before). Is it possible for my anxiety to have triggered a subconscious eating disorder, or is this all just a mess of subconscious anxiety?

Jarred28 GAD and problems with intimacy

I thought id express myself on here with what I'm feeling lately. Been waking up every day in a panic state which then leads to depersonalization its like I'm not in my own body and everything is blurry and seems unreal. I also get extreme bursts of ... View more

I thought id express myself on here with what I'm feeling lately. Been waking up every day in a panic state which then leads to depersonalization its like I'm not in my own body and everything is blurry and seems unreal. I also get extreme bursts of tiredness during the day like I'm about to pass out or just fall to sleep which leads me to panic even more. I have a real lack of concentration during the day because of this and even people talking to me I don't take in half of what they're saying cause I feel like I'm just not there. Onto the intimacy stuff, I'm a 26 year old male but I haven't had intercourse with anyone in over 4 years due to this anxiety. The last time I remember doing it I was just extremely nervous about my performance and I was shaking a lot. Any help with either issues would be appreciated thanks

alcott What are 4 major causes of depression?

Depression is not a condition that has one specific cause. It can happen for many different reasons and have many triggers. Usually, depression doesn't work quickly or suddenly. The four major causes of depression are: Family history. ... Illness and... View more

Depression is not a condition that has one specific cause. It can happen for many different reasons and have many triggers. Usually, depression doesn't work quickly or suddenly. The four major causes of depression are: Family history. ... Illness and health issues. ... Medication, drugs, and alcohol. ... Personality.

Lil_fitz Nervousness 24/7

I have been struggling with anxiety since my father passed and even moreso recently as PND after my son was born. I have anxiety feelings like I’m extremely nervous 24/7. My highs are really high and my lows are low. I just want to find a happy mediu... View more

I have been struggling with anxiety since my father passed and even moreso recently as PND after my son was born. I have anxiety feelings like I’m extremely nervous 24/7. My highs are really high and my lows are low. I just want to find a happy medium I am so over feeling like this ALL of the time I have been seeing a therapist every 3-4 weeks and he is reluctant to give me anything to try that may even out my moods. I have made an appt with my GP for next week. I guess my question is does anyone else constantly feel like this and what meds have helped? And do they take a while to work or does it kinda just happen? Thank you