FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

So emotional - I cry at the drop of a hat

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't even know if it's anxiety related or not. I didn't used to cry when anxious, and I've had anxiety for over a decade, but now when I'm anxious I cry. But even sometimes when I'm not. Today I cried twice when people were talking to me. I've been stressed a bit lately, but I thought I was feeling fine today, so it was unexpected.

Anyone else have any experience of this that they want to share. Sharing can help normalise our experiences, but also if you have any techniques to stop it, or ways to handle it, that would be cool to hear too. Thanks

18 Replies 18

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Tony, Quirky

This popped up on my instagram feed, quite appropriately, so thought I'd share:

"it's ok to feel over emotional, overwhelmed, or highly sensitive. The process of rebirth is not easy. Remember to do things that soothe, nourish you and uplift your soul. Every small step counts, so don't underestimate it. You are not alone because everyone goes through turbulences of all kinds in this physical body. Trust your journey and trust yourself..." - unknown

Thanks for that Katy, I'm very sensitive myself. No one seems to understand. I hope you're feeling a bit better.

Jack2021
Community Member
Hiya Katy 😊

Something I feel embarassed to admit as a male, but yeah, I used to cry sometimes in the past,
but nowdays, in the last month or so when my depression and anxiety has been super, super bad, yeah...crying or being on the verge of tears was like a daily event for me......I think yourself and everyone here is so strong for admitting something I wouldn't even admit to if it wasn't for everyone talking here right now....it's one of those things where I'm almost speechless to speak about because I just don't have the words..but here goes I guess

I've cried when work didn't feel like it was going well, I've cried waking up, I've cried in the car before going into work, on my tea break, on lunch, on a Sunday night when I realise I have to go back to a job that makes me feel like crap, I've even cried when I've left that really bad job, knowing I have to find another one, because that's how this world works unfortunately...I've cried at how people have always treated me in life, and why they had to be so cruel.

I've cried most importantly I think, because I realise I'm severly depressed, and miserable every second of the day, and wish I could fix it, but as much as I try to, it keeps coming back....it's funny to think of another thread I saw a few days ago, asking us if there was "any one thing you could have right now, what would it be?"
If you ask that to anyone off the street, they'd ramble on about houses, and lotteries, and cars, and money, but honestly the very first thing that came to my mind was happiness...that's all I want at this point, and there were heaps of people on the thread thinking the same way.....

Anyway back to topic, yeah, when I'm severely depressed and anxious, I do cry a lot....how to stop it or handle it? I have no clue...I guess being around good/friendly/supportive people helps, like my partner, or my local cafe owner friend, or talking to people on here..that helps a bit...but otherwise??
No clue... if I feel like I'm going to cry, then it's usually that intense depression and anxiety which I still don't know to handle fully....still trying to work this out as I go.......

Hi Katy

I love that passage you quoted. I've found this to be so true. So hard to trust when the challenge feels overwhelming but once you make it through and have come to understand what the challenge has actually been about there is no choice but to evolve. Again, seriously hard to trust while you're smack bang in the middle of some mind altering potentially depressing challenge yet trust is something that must be practiced, until it becomes a part of our nature. Lost count of the amount of times I've managed to make it out the other side of a challenge and am met with inspiration's words 'I told you to trust'.

A quote like the one you found is worth printing out and putting up on the wall somewhere where you can see it every day.

Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

Hello Katy, I did forget to say that I can cry quite easily, but more so when I'm not feeling well and certainly did when I was struggling with depression.

I hope you can feel well supported in this thread.

Geoff.

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gosh! I want to thank you all again for sharing your own experiences. It's really powerful.

Jack - we're all still trying to figure it out too. I read a lot of self help books, and the one I'm currently reading (Brene Brown) talks about the importance of being vulnerable, authentic, and owning our story. So special thanks to you for sharing, as I feel that was particularly hard for you, but you did it anyway.

My kind thoughts to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it's appreciated.

Hiya Katy 😊

Sooooo sorry for the late reply..have been feeling quite depressed lately...but not as bad as I had before, more of an "no energy feeling" no motivation to do anything these past few days..it's quite a different depression really, as I'm almost feeling "normal" , yet I'm just still immensely sad and feeling hopeless for the present and for my future...just having no energy or motivation to do anything....

Ahhh that's cool and so glad it helps you 😊😊 sounds great, though for me one of the many ways my depression has manifested itself is that I no longer have any passion or concentration for reading, despite it being quite enjoyable to me a few years back...my many attempts to read a book and finish it often result in frustration and more depression, essentially killing any motivation I have for reading nowdays..

Thanks again so much for the kind words 😊😊

Em_Jing
Community Member

I hear you. I have a history of depression and anxiety, but have been feeling okay. I’m crying at the drop of a hat and have put it down to stressful job and family stuff happening. 

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dearest Em_Jing,

Just checking in, how are you feeling today?

I can relate to the emotional patterns that you have described, I too am quite prone to crying. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's good to be in tune with your emotions and to be able to express them where necessary. Work and social struggles are two recurring stressors for a lot of people, so I can understand where you're coming from here.

Hoping you're doing well. Please feel free to chat with us some more about it if you wish, we're here for you.

SB