FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Separation anxiety as a adult

anita24
Community Member
My partner was been working away from home from monday to Friday for years and it never gets easier. I feel very alone by myself. Each week I get so upset that he’s leaving. Is this Normal? Because I just want to feel safe and content. I also get anxiety at night and can’t sleep when I hear noises.
1 Reply 1

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Anita,

welcome to the forum, this is a friendly and supportive place.

People reading your post will relate to what you said.

Separation anxiety is quite common, so much so that some psychologists have considered putting it to the diagnostic manual..You have realised you have a problem and that is a good start.

Many adults suffer from separation anxiety issues and either may not be aware, or fail to seek treatment.

Sometimes cognitive behavioural therapy, may help you - learning to be alone in a way that is calming and better for mental health. Also relaxation strategies can be implemented as well.

I wonder if you feel the separation anxiety is getting worse recently or have you also felt the same when your partner goes away.

When I am alone , I leave the radio on at night as it quietens the other noises.

Quirky

feel free to post here .