FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie Post :)

Crosscheck
Community Member

So, I'm new here.

Over the years I've struggled with multiple different 'genres' of mental health, but the underlying theme (or cause I suppose) for all of my different journeys would be my anxiety. I was a part of an online group years ago focused on eating disorders, and while it made me feel connected to others who were going through what I was at the time, it was honestly a terrible forum for sharing and encouraging bad behaviours.

I know I'm rambling, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I would love to be a part of a positive and supportive platform focused on something I know I need help with, and where I can see and talk to others who are going through the same thing. Don't get me wrong, my family and friends are great, but sometimes they just genuinely can't understand where I'm coming from and end up hurting more than helping.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's engaged in this whole deal. If you like it, and what you get out of it, anything really.

Thanks guys!

5 Replies 5

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI Crosscheck and welcome to the forums

We are a positive forums and we are protected by moderators to make sure that unhelpful and harmful content isn't allowed. This doesn't mean we don't have freedom of speech, but it ensures that people can come to a safe place, especially in a vulnerable time.

I myself have a history of eating disorders and I know what you mean by ed forums. A lot of them are advertised as a support forum, but they teach you more harmful things than good. I can assure you this is not like that. I wouldn't stick around if that were the case.

I come here to give advice and to get support when I am having bad days. When I was struggling with my anxiety I felt alone and I went on beyond blue to get some information. I found it helpful so once I felt I was in a better place I wanted to give back.

Is there anything specifically you want to discuss.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Crosscheck

MsPurple is spot on with her post. The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post 🙂

Just for your info I have been on the forums since Jan 2016 after being made redundant. There have been so many gentle people (including the moderators) that have helped me help myself with my long term anxiety/depression/meds

I really hope you can stick around the forums Crosscheck 🙂 Newbie or long term member....your thoughts are just as important as mine or any other member

Thankyou for posting with us Crosscheck!

my kind thoughts

Paul

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Crosscheck,

I too welcome you to the forum and the community here. You will find supportive, caring, enthusiastic and validating people here. We all come with our own experiences, knowledge and mental health issues, or experience with people suffering from mental health.

Like Miss Purple and Paul have already mentioned, there are moderators here working in the background ensuring things run smoothly and to ensure the forum is a safe and welcoming place for everyone.

Beyond Blue can offer a lot of support through the forum, the chat line, emails, information section and the 24 hour phone support.

Family and friends don't always know how to help us with specific issues, it is good to rely on them for general support all the same.

Hopefully you will be able to make the most of the forum, sharing your needs and wants, listening to others and becoming involved with different threads if you are comfortable to do so. Once again Welcome to you!

Cheers from Dools

Thank you so much for your response! I was really interested when I saw that posts go through the moderators so it's awesome to hear that the whole system is working for so many people!

As of yet I'm just really putting my feelers out I suppose, but I really appreciate the fact that you're helping newbies like me!

Crosscheck xx

Hey Crosscheck

Thankyou heaps for posting back!

If we didnt have newbie's there would no forums Crosscheck. Its really nice to have you as part of the forum family. I hope that today has been good to you 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul