FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Social Phobia, I've decided to take steps, baby steps and fight it! At least start fighting it!

Madale
Community Member

Finally I have decided to get out of that entrance door! I'm shivering thinking about it, but I'll just push myself! 😣 I've had enough! I'm planning to go out for a walk or maybe even just stand at the portico (after few hours). I want to do it, I hope I do it. 💪🥺

11 Replies 11

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Madale,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums...

I really am sorry your struggling so much with your anxiety..

Only a few years ago, I was like..so afraid of walking out my front door...shopping, Drs appointments and walking around my town or streets, were impossible for me to do...

With determination, I started by sitting on my veranda for a few minutes each day...until I ended up being able to do this for hours....I used to ask my friend to buy my grocery items when she went shopping, sometimes I felt brave enough to go with her.....I can now do this on my own....

I was put on new start....and one condition was to volunteer myself at least one day a week...Wow did I find that hard...many panic attacks, breakdowns, hiding in the rest room etc.over a period of at least a year..they were very hard struggles for me.....I have since been put onto DSP...and don’t need to volunteer anymore....but persistence really payed off for me...I now volunteer for 2 days a week and am not co- ordinator for both days....and I’m working in the shop serving customers...it took me nearly 4 years before I felt comfortable to move from sorting outback to being serving customers....

Its been a long journey for me....I still cannot go for a walk alone..in my town or anywhere strange...but I know I will one day....

I can understand how hard it is for you to take that first step outside your door...I’ve been their...I think you are so very brave, by doing that..,.it does become easier each time you do it.....hopefully slowly you’ll take that small baby step...one at a time...outside your front fence/gate....When you do, Dear Madale...look around you at the trees or anything you can....listen to what’s around you.....and keep saying to yourself.....I am stronger then my anxiety...

Here for you dear lovely Madale.....Please keep talking here when you feel up to it....

My kind thoughts and care...Madale..

Grandy..

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Madale, 

Congratulations on taking a stand to your anxiety well done and yes I believe you can do this.

One thing I learned about anxiety was the more we do what our anxiety is telling us to do the more we reinforce it.

You CAN defy your anxiety 💪 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Congratulations Madale! Good on you for making the decision. 

You are allowed to support yourself to move outside instead of thinking of it as a "fight" you know? 

I reckon having a little plant on your front stoop might encourage you to peek outside to water it? Maybe? 

That's me though, having living things that need me really helps with everything, routine, motivation, the lot. 

Good luck and we're here for you
EM

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Madale,

Congratulations on facing your anxiety head on!

It's not an easy thing to do and you should absolutely be proud of every step you take. Hope you rewarded yourself after your walk/visit to the portico as well, as you definitely deserve it!

Beeee

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Madale, 

Thank you for your post and good on you for taking those first steps! It's definitely a hard thing to push out of your comfort zone so you should be super proud of yourself! 😊

I hope all went well and that you can continue to take these steps, you've got the support from all of us and we will be cheering you on! All the best 

Madale
Community Member

Thank you all very much!

I got dressed, I was shaking, something inside me was telling me no, don't! I left. I went walking out, I was shaking, I couldn't walk properly, but I went on. I thought of taking a turn back and running home but I continued walking. My legs were shaking, I was very nervous, it was like my head was spinning, but I continued walking. I was nervous looking at the traffic, the cars near the houses, the people.. but I continued walking. As I walked a little more further from my house I noticed that I was starting to walk properly. I was getting some kind of confidence. I took a turn and as I was walking back home I noticed I was much more relaxed while walking. I spent some time at the portico and then got inside the house. I loved it! I'm deciding now to go to a neighbor's place. She is a nurse and a social worker. I'm thinking of being friends with her but a bit nervous and scared. I'm trying. Thank you all! ❤️

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Well done 😊 you should be very proud of yourself 💪

Keep up the great work 😊

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Madale,

Congratulations, we/I are very proud of you….I hope you are as well…you done so good…I want so much to be able to go for a walk around my neighbourhood but as hard as I try I can’t do that….I am in awe of what you have just done…it isn’t easy at all.

hugs and care dear Madale..

Grandy..

This is huge Madale, I am so happy for you! You should be very proud of your efforts and what you were able to achieve! The first steps are so scary so I wish you nothing but the best for the rest of your journey to come! 🤗