FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My recovery story - the steps to recovery

Guest_9550
Community Member

My name is David. I’m a Scottish man in my early 40’s, and I’ve lived in Sydney Australia for the past 15 years. At the age of 33, following a period of consistent and continued stress and worry at home and in work, I developed Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

I didn’t just wake up one morning and have an anxiety problem - it crept up on me slowly and gradually as the worries in my life began to occupy more and more of my mind.

I had a good life and considered myself to be happy – but anxiety crept in anyway.

It started with some strange symptoms – and as these symptoms progressed and I began to fear the way the symptoms made me feel – the anxiety became a problem.

I remained in the grips of anxiety for a number of years, which led me to unemployment, despair, hopelessness, and a trip to the emergency ward. My life and mind were consumed with trying to escape the terrifying thoughts and feelings and scary symptoms that made each day almost unbearable.

Determined to find the joy in my life again, I spent time learning about my condition and how it affected my mind and body. I began to really understand why I remained trapped and why I had to approach my anxiety in a different way if I wanted to recover.

By acquiring this knowledge, and using it to break my anxiety cycle, I was able to fully recover. After 5 years of suffering I was able to once again live a life that was no longer ruled by anxiety.

David

3 Replies 3

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi David and welcome to the forums.

It is so lovely to find posts like your own. I love reading the stories where people have found ways to feel better again.

Thank you for sharing your success with us all.

You mentioned changing your approach to anxiety... Do you feel like sharing what you tried and what worked for you? I am always interested to hear techniques (after all I never know when I may find something I hadn't considered).

Am happy for you David and hope you continue to manage your anxiety well.

Nat

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello David

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your story. It's stories like these that give others hope they too will be able to manage their difficulties.

Like Quercus I enjoy success stories. If you feel able to tell us a bit more about yourself and how you managed to get to this point I think it will encourage others to believe they can beat their mental illnesses.

Perhaps you would like to browse the forum, join in the conversations and offer your insights to others. Just as it's good to know others have difficulties like ourselves it is great to know we can get on top of our own lives.

Thank you for posting.

Mary

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi David

I would like to echo what Quercus and Mary have mentioned about your success in finding your way out of having these awful anxiety feelings

You are very strong for being so proactive with your health. If you have any tips there are many people on the forums that can benefit from your full recovery.

When its convenient I really hope you can share your success with us.....(if you wish to of course)

Great post and thankyou for being a part of the forum family too 🙂

My kind thoughts

Paul