FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ice pick headaches

Traveller73
Community Member

Does anyone suffer from ice pick headaches? They can occur a few times a day, hard jabs that last literally 1 second? I had a traumatic event at work back in Oct and have had them since. Been to dr got checked out, but still worry about them. I googled headaches and anxiety and it described similar headaches. My headaches have dissapated over time, sometimes 2/day. Alao recently nearly went three days without one. But then I think getting better and it comes back. Literally i can think gee had not had headache for a while and 5mins later it happens again. Also watching something stressful on tv I think triggers them. If I am busy/ having fun they disappear. Anyone had similar?

3 Replies 3

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Traveller, what did your doctor say about the headaches? Are you receiving any treatment after your traumatic event?

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Traveller,

Yeah I get them as well but the frequency seems different. I get a bout once every few months (so I guess I'm due now!) and they seem related to stress. But sometimes I'm not stressed and I get them? I don't know.

For me, they hit every 5-30 seconds. The 5 second ones are the worst. It feels, to me, like a tiny brain thing got twisted 3 full rotations in a millisecond so it snaps me right out of whatever I'm doing. When it's the 5 second one, I can't do anything because of the frequency. I can't work, I can't do my hobbies, I can't watch TV or even play video games. It's a real bummer!

I've had a scan that showed nothing and blood tests also showed nothing. I did find that hot showers helped so sometimes if I can bother, I get a hot towel and put it over my head/neck. But I have to keep reapplying every couple of minutes or its not hot enough.

James

No treatment, only to destress. I feel like have calmed down but they reoccur daily. They only last 1 second. The dr thinks they will just disappear over time. I keep thinking about them whether occur or not. If busy dont get them. I think its all in head literally as they come and go, particularly if stressed. i try to stay tranquil. Traumatic event was being potentially made redundant and then restructure was stopped at 11th hour. I got really worked up about it.