FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I can no longer leave the house due to my anxiety

meelk
Community Member

Hi,

Bit of background - history of anxiety and minor depression, recently had a traumatic event happen and have been seeing a psychologist, have recently been seeing a GP and was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder (however i do not agree with the diagnosis as i do not display most of the tell tale signs).

I've recently had such bad anxiety to the point where whenever i have to leave my home for anything i get so nauseous, foggy and feel like i'm going to faint. For example i'm in my final year of university and everything i'm about to get up and go i just cannot seem to leave the house, i cannot concentrate or do anything really. (This is a big issue as i cannot drive due to the anxiety and worry i have). The doctor i was seeing has been trying me on different medications but i've had extremely bad side effects to all of them except for benzodiazepenes which cannot be used for the long term. Before i started all the medications i had manageable anxiety but now my anxiety is so bad that it has completely ruined my life and is holding me back from doing anything.

Is there anyone who has had something similar? i'm at the point where i'm considering asking for a referral to a psychiatrist so i can figure out what exactly is wrong with me.

1 Reply 1

Ba1l3y
Community Member

Hi meelk,

You're situation is a lot like mine. I find it hard to talk to people, leave the house and I'm extremely self-conscious. I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety about two months ago and everyone is suggesting seeing like a psychologist, and I did but I don't find that they're helping at all. I guess it's different for me.

You're Anxiety seems extreme and I think that you should take small steps. Taking small steps will enable habits to form and then you'll slowly be willing to talk to people and leave your house. I hope this helps in some way. It seems like you're desperate for a change so I think you'll endure and eventually overcome your anxiety.

Hope this helps, Bailey. xx