FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First time posting anxiety about work

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hi everyone

this is my first time posting so I hope I'm doing it right. I have always suffered with anxiety and depression and got help and have been great for 10 years. I have worked in retail In the same place for 7 years and I was happy but recently got the opportunity to move into a different roll in a different store but same company I have totally freaked out with panic attacks vomiting and not eating and just wanting to hide, my anxiety is consuming me I have a choice to stick it out or go back to what I was doing before with the chance I get less hours I'm really confused and don't no which way to go if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

19 Replies 19

Hi Astro boy

Good on you for pushing through your anxiety, you should feel so proud of yourself. Well done for going to your GP that can be a big step in its self your heading in the right direction. Don't let your anxiety control your life.

Hi

Thank you for everyone reply to my post I really appreciate the support and advice its comforting knowing that I'm not alone. I've ending up work out that a particular staff member was the root cause of my anxiety as there's only the two of us Iand i was getting left to do all the work and i couldn't go to the manager as they are both mates so I've decide to go back to my original role I feel a lot less anxiety it's just a shame because I liked what I was doing and now I'm on less money but it's not worth making myself sick over it as health is more important and another opportunity I'm sure will arise. It just goes to show how controlling anxiety is. Thanks again everyone.

Hi Fizz

Thankyou for taking the time to post back to everyone (even though you dont have to)

You have made a sound decision Fizz as the reason (or trigger) for the anxiety is not an immediate priority.....the symptoms are....Once a GP/counselor can treat the symptoms then you can have a better quality of life......and then the 'triggers' can be sorted out.

Good on you for making the effort to see your GP 🙂 Your immediate health is a priority.....the reasons why can be left until later...I understand that the money isnt as good for sure.

Great stuff Fizz and Astro Boy for treating the anxiety symptoms as a priority! If we didnt have new members then there would be no forums to post on.....Thankyou heaps 🙂

Fizz mentioned "but it's not worth making myself sick over it as health is more important" Good1

Your thread is always open.....I hope you can post back when its convenient for you

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi blondguy

Thanks heaps for the support and your posts. I made a very hard decision and felt good about it for a few days but now I'm right back where I started I'm stressing about money now as I've only been given 12hours so I'm worried I won't be able to pay my Bill's I'm not sure if there is any financial support for someone in my situation or even who to ask. I also worry I wont ever be the person I use to be as I don't enjoy much at the moment and find it very hard to get out of bed in the mornings. I hope eventually I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Astro Boy

Well done on making it into work last week, despite feeling incredibly anxious! And also for going to see your GP for some assistance with sleeping.

Hoping things have settled down a bit more for you at work this week,

SammyD

Hi Fizz Wizz

As I was reading through the posts on this thread again I realised I had misinterpreted your initial situation at work. I had mistakenly assumed you hadn't yet started the new role, and were trying to figure out whether to take the job offer or not. Obviously I got that wrong so I wanted to apologise that my advice hadn't quite hit the mark!

I was so relieved when I read that you'd decided to go back to the old role, and that you felt confident that this was the right decision for you. I was really heartened to read that you were wanting to prioritise your mental health, and you wanted to ensure that your anxiety didn't control you. I loved that this was the conclusion you had come to.

Then in your most recent post you mentioned that you felt like you were right back where you started, and were feeling really stressed about money as your hours had been reduced. Have you been able to talk to your boss about increasing your hours, if that is what you need at the moment?

I'm not sure what your age or situation is, but is there a chance that you could access Centrelink support to help you out while you hopefully get support for your anxiety?

I love that you still could see there might be hope at the end of the tunnel. I hope so too,

SammyD

Hi sammyD

Thanks for the reply. It's ok if you didnt fully understand I probably wasnt making much sense as I've not been thinking straight. Unfortunately at this stage I cant get anymore hours as there are none available. I'm 27 and me and my partner are still living with my parents at the moment but I've just got Bill's i have to pay and I'm not sure if there is anything available for me at centerlink but that's something I can ask my doctor about when I see her next. Thanks for all your support.

Its nice to know I'm not alone.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Fizz Wizz~

I read elsewhere you had been to the doctors and had been offered a Mental Health Plan.The most obvious downside is that it can cost money, and I know you are stretched at the moment. The provider may bulk bill, in which case you pay nothing, or may charge more, in which case you have to pay the gap.

On the upside it is an opportunity to help learn how to handle your anxiety and depression. This has been so limiting for you that anything you can do to lessen its effect on you has to be good. I think we would all really like to know if you can take the offer up.

Having the next day looming up of an evening is horrible, and as you say makes getting rest and sleep very hard indeed. It's quite understandable to put off going to bed, it does make the next day seem closer.

I guess there are two separate things to try to do. The first is to try to make the tomorrows less daunting. While I suspect it might be your work or bills that's the trouble I don't know for sure - would you like to say?

If it is work do you have any ideas to make it less stressful? With bills can your partner help?

The other thing of course is to lay the groundwork for more coping skills. here that MH plan could be good, treatment for the underlying problems would seem pretty sensible.

I'd like to mention a couple of places to have a look:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/staying-well/sleeping-well

and also

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety

That last one is pretty long but I've found a lot in it to help. (Copy the links and paste into your browser)

Croix

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hi croix

Thank you for your post.

I guess it is the money side that is stopping me from going to the doctors to get the mental health plan and I have seen a psychologist before but apart from the medication I didnt find that seeing them really did much at all so I guess I'm doubting it about. I'm not actually anxious about work its self I guess I'm anxious about leaving the house and whether I'll be the same person again I dont want to hurt myself or anything I think I'm just confused as to how everything with myself has changed so much. I do recall dealing with my anxiety better when I was a teenager but I guess for years I wasnt put in a situation where i felt trapped. For all those years I thought I didnt have anxiety anymore.

Astro_Boy
Community Member

I'm so glad I found this thread again. I re-read all the comments to remind myself that I can get through the tough times of anxiety triggered by work and still show leadership.

I had another instance at work were I was having a confidential conversation, unintentally I might add, when after the conversation and agreeing to a course of action, that this was a mistake. Another case of a long high pressured day, lack of sleep and seeking support in an area that should have been safe to do so. Now I need to go ensure action isn't taken first thing in the morning. I wish I could learn my lesson and get better support that is safe and confidential.

thanks for listening