FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feel like im going manic or crazy

Vegemitewizard
Community Member

Hi im a 21 year old male. Most nights i have alot of trouble sleeping i feel foggy, depressed and anxious sometimes odd. No matter how hard it try to sleep i can't. I turn on my computer, play a video and lay with my eyea close till i passout. Alot of the times when i do sleep i experience these vivid horrific dreams. Sometimes the dreams negatively affect oh i feel when i wake up, these dreams stick with me. I can remember them like they just happend it makes me want to not sleep. I feel like there is something wrong with me all the time whether it be psychological or physical i have no idea. I feel worried alot, i have such a hard time going to the doctors, ive been putting it off for years beacuse im so anxious. My anxiety is negatively affecting my life in different ways and keeps me up at night. I smoke alot of marijuana to stop dreaming and go to sleep easier. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

4 Replies 4

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Vegemitewizard,

I'm sorry to hear about the struggles you're facing with sleep, anxiety, and your dreams. It's important to address these issues, as they can significantly impact your overall well-being.

I would strongly encourage you to visit a doctor or a mental health professional. They can provide a proper assessment and suggest appropriate treatments. I understand that anxiety can make this step challenging, but it's a crucial one for your health. 

While you mentioned using marijuana to aid in sleep, marijuana actually can affect sleep quality and mental health. I would also encourage you to discuss this with your doctor.

When you say you have a hard time going to the doctors, do you want to share more, what exactly are the challenges? 

Hope everything will be better.

Warm regards,

Mark

Thank you for the reply

I just feel very anxious going to the doctors ive made 2 appointments in the last 3 months that ive cancelled. Ive been trying to get out of my comfort zone recently, but there is something about going to the doctors and sharing stuff about myself that makes me uncomfortable.

Hi Vegemitewizard,

Thanks for sharing your feeling. It's not uncommon to feel anxious about visiting the doctor, especially when discussing personal issues. 

To reduce the anxiety, you can do some online research in advance about what the visit will entail. Knowing what to expect can reduce your anxiety.

Another good idea is, before your appointment, write down all your symptoms, worries, and any questions you have. This can help you feel more prepared and ensure you don't forget to mention important details.

If the location of the clinic is a source of anxiety, you can even consider visiting the clinic beforehand to familiarise yourself with the route.

However, if your anxiety is severe, don't push yourself too hard, you can consider bringing a friend or family member for support, or call Beyondblue hotline (24/7) and have a chat with a mental health professional for some guidance. Feel free to call 1300 22 4636. 

If you feel anxious to make a call, you can also have a web chat with a Beyond Blue Counsellor. It should be easier for you to open up: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/support-service/chat

Hope it helps a bit.

Warmly,

Mark

Essdee
Community Member

Hi Vegemitewizard,
I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety and sleep issues. I'm on this forum because I also suffer from anxiety, not all the time but it comes and goes. And it certainly affects my sleep - when I'm feeling anxious I'm often awake for hours in the middle of the night, my heart rate is up and my stomach is churning. I've also had depression on and off over the years (I'm now 64).
Like you, I also felt reluctant to discuss psychological issues with my doctor - it took until recently for me to do it. I really encourage you to do that too. These days GPs are very familiar with people coming to them with psychological issues, even more so since COVID caused mental health issues for many people, so there is no need to feel embarrassed. Your GP is likely to prepare a mental health plan for you which subsidise the cost of up to 10 visits to a psychologist or counsellor. 

A psychologist can help you work through your issues and give you some practical help in dealing with your anxiety. 
I'm now seeing a psychologist on a mental health treatment plan and wish I'd done it years ago.
Taking that first step (talking to your GP) is challenging, but you will be really relieved once you've done it and can start to get some help! I really encourage you to take that first step and not leave it for years like I did.
Your doctor can also advise you about alternative ways to improve your sleep, including the option of melatonin tablets which I use when I'm having bad nights.
All the best for getting some relief from your anxiety.
Steve