FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feel like I'm losing my mind

Merkles
Community Member

Hey guys,

First post here, I am a 26 year old Male who suffers from anxiety. I've always been an overthinker and a constant worrier, however lately I feel like I am getting worse, however I am not sure if that's the case, or if it's just the anxiety making me think it.

For maybe the past 2 years or so I've been suffering with bad brain fog, I feel like my thoughts aren't clear and that my memory isn't as good as it used to be. This brain fog is scaring me as I think this is the beginning of me losing my mind and not being myself anymore.

The best way to describe it is that I feel like I am zoned out 24/7, and that I always feel tired even though I get plenty of sleep each night. Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but I feel much more zoned out when I am surrounded by bright lights?

A part of me is thinking that maybe there is something wrong with my brain physically, another part of me thinks it's all anxiety and that I need to find a way to cope with it.

I am very anxious to visit my doctor again as I see him all the time for various different things (Health anxiety) He probably thinks I'm a lunatic..

Could this be depression? as I don't feel like I have anything to be overly depressed about, I don't feel sad, I don't really feel anything, I feel like I just float through life, I feel like I'm going crazy 😞

The only thing that seems to take the edge off is alcohol and benzos, however I don't want to end up dependent on those.

Not really sure what I am looking for by posting here, I guess I just wanted to vent and see if anyone else suffers the same, or has hopefully found a way to deal with similar issues.

I just want to get back to my old self who enjoyed each day and could think clearly, each day feels like it gets harder and harder.

Thanks for reading.

10 Replies 10

Whazp
Community Member

Hi Merkles,

I also have severe brain fog and feel spaced out 24x7 (among other symptoms). Its worse under bright light (especially fluro and white / bright computer screens) and during the day when its sunny. Often its accompanied by head pressure sensations. Makes work and other normal activities a struggle.

This started for me after going off an SNRI anti depressant and is a known symptom of discontinuation syndrome. It can also be caused by Anxiety too so its not always easy to identify the cause. Did you start / stop any medications around the time that this became an issue for you?