FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Don’t know where to start but here it goes

nurse-in-need
Community Member

Hi, I feel the last 6-12 months have really taken a toll on my mental health. 

I’ve recently noticed I am easily irritable, resentful, struggling to maintain or form new relationships, socially withdrawn and very self-critical. It doesn’t help I am going through a career change and currently a mature nursing student. 
Due to a mixture of visa purposes and personal circumstances, a lot of close friends I have made have left to go home or moved interstate. My partner’s social circle on the other hand keeps expanding and I can’t help but feel jealously around this. I have to tried to connect with likeminded people but it’s a struggle. I’m not the outgoing, sociable person I once was when I got here.  I feel so alone all of a sudden and with my studies on top, I’m fatigued and the last thing I want to do is try again and make new friends. A lot of my uni cohort are very young too. As a result, I experience sadness and loneliness. I also have a habit of negative thinking that I struggle to shift. I am just finding life tough lately and never had this before. 

9 Replies 9

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

From what you have posted you have gone through a lot with career shifts, studies, visa stress. It is understandable that the last year would take a toll with so much change and loss of your support systems and feeling irritable, withdrawn, and critical of yourself makes sense given the circumstances. I am guessing you feel you do not have anyone to talk to about how you are feeling? You mentioned in your post about Uni studies, so I wonder if you are able to talk to counsellors in the student services about what you are going through - they might be able to give you advice on ways forward.

I am curious to know what changed in the last 6-12 months for this to happen, other than the friends moving away, or was that the trigger for you?

In my own story I know what it is like to be (in my case) constantly irritable, and self-critical. It sucks. I wish I was able to give you some suggestions but I don't really have anything to say at the moment.  😞 But you deserve to find some happiness. 

Lastly, I wonder if you have talked with your husband about how things are for you? Hopefully he will be suppportive.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Nurse-in-need~

I'd like to welcome you to the Forum, coming here was a wise move as it allows you to see what others think.

Could it be you are being too hard on yourself at the moment and expect too much of yourself right now? When you look at what you are dealing with: career change, a very taxing course of study, loss of friends and seeing your partner having a fuller social life and maybe feeling left behind.

Each of these things by itself causes stress, which easily leads to anger, self criticism and being withdrawn.

Study can be all-consuming and simply not leave energy or time for other things. One advantage you have - which I had too - was to be a mature age student. True it means you may feel cut off from the younger set, however it gives you the confidence and self knowledge to get the best out of your studies, and also not be distracted by wrestling with all the life experiences new to those that are just starting life.

I'm sure after qualification you will find a circle of those that become close to you, it is the nature of nursing (I'm speaking from experience having married one and an offspring who is another)

In the meantime perhaps there are things you can do to help you cope. Joining a club or society at uni, healthy diet, reasonable exercise, having something to look forward to at the end of each day and maybe just simply being with your partner, forgetting the stresses for a while.

We do feel for you, would you like to come back and talk some more?

Croix

hello, i am new here , i just joined about a minute ago, so sorry if my response is very short or not proper but i just wanted to say i relate to this a lot, especially the self critical, irritable, and struggling to maintain relationships and form new ones, and being withdrawn. I am sorry you are going through this. 

Dear HFAPS (sorry the long name defeated my typing skills:) -with a wave to Nurse-in-need.

I also like to welcome you here to the Forum. Your post is certainly in the right place, as it is most often a comfort when someone reads that they are not alone and others have similar thoughts and worries.

As for being short, well I probably go on for too long - so that makes for a balance:) You also feel for nurse-in-need, and that says something about your empathetic nature.

Do you mind if I ask what your opinion is? Do you think the things you feel "self critical, irritable, and struggling to maintain relationships and form new ones, and being withdrawn" are coming about due to the pressure of your studies, or that and other  things too?

Just the study alone can make a huge difference in life. I always envied those that  partied late, seemed to do precious little study and still always did well -sigh

Going though life felling all those unpleasant things really needs to be addressed. I'm living proof life can be better, in fact enjoyable. Do you have any techniques to help you and reduce these unwanted feelings?

Do you have any support, personal from family or freinds? Also maybe medical? Going it alone is extra hard.

I do hope you'd like to come back and converse again

Croix

That’s alright the name is long haha, yeah I don’t know it is the study , I’m doing Masters and it’s so hard , and lately things haven’t been going my way relationships wise. Like as I type this I am in (emotional) pain , I have so much work to do , and I have to push really hard , I’m not really okay , and it just doesn’t seem things will get better

Also Thankyou very much for the welcome really did not know where to start on this website

HI hfaps, welcome from me also. 

*waves to nurse-in-need*

well done for getting into a masters program. what are you studying?

listening if you want to chat...

Thankyou , So I’m doing pharmacy 

Duh! I could have worked that out from your name. How are your studies going?