FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dizziness,anxiety and fear

Academy
Community Member

I am 77 years old and I have suffered from health anxiety for. Number of years,but it seems to be getting worse to the point I am afraid to leave my home at times. I woke up with a sore neck,yesterday,so did some neck exercises. I then spent  a few hours going through old photos to put in a memory book (head bent over). I then went to the hairdresser and when I was standing,bent over the basin,I felt unsteady. This turned into a massive anxiety attack,and I had to get my daughter and a friend to drive me home as I was too scared to drive. I lay down,when I got home and my daughter stayed the night. I feel so silly that a small dizzy attack is so debilitating . Does anyone else get this and how do you deal with it. Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Academy,

I’m sorry for your challenge. I’m not a health professional but I think it’s important to be aware of any unusual signals from your body, especially as you get older. If you don’t feel safe to drive, it’s always a good idea to seek help.

In dealing with signals from your body, I would suggest summarising the symptoms and patterns (including dizziness) in detail and talking to your doctor. This way, you will gain a better understanding of what’s going on and your doctor can arrange a relative health check if necessary. 

You can also read some books about the health of the elderly.

Anxiety can come from a sense of uncertainty. When you have more knowledge, you will be less anxious.

Hope it helps a bit.

Mark

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Acedemy,

Im sorry you are suffering with health anxiety, I understand because I also suffered with this but have now recovered after perseverance.

Please don’t allow your anxiety to stop you from leaving your house….. stand up to it because you are so much stronger than it.

Sometimes we have to leave the house and take our anxiety with us.

Try to learn to change your reactions to your intrusive thoughts.

Put your attention on the present moment instead of what’s going on inside your mind.

I eventually recovered from my anxiety and other anxiety related conditions one of the biggest things that got me over the line was learning what my cycle was and then disengaging from it using mindfulness.

I also came to the realisation that I wasn’t my thoughts but the observer of them…. I learned that I was separate from them… I longer identified with them…. This bought me freedom from within.

Meditation was something that taught me this.

No matter your age keep persevering because you too can know freedom from within.

You are not your anxiety…. Kick it in the back corner and live your life.

Fear is an emotion I believe and emotions just need to be felt and not pushed away once you feel the emotion you will realise you are so much bigger than it and will be able to walk on through it.

Remember to follow your breath it’s there to anchor you… remember to slow it down and to put your attention on it…. Just follow it…..

” what we give attention to we give power to”

Lauren_87
Community Member

Hi Academy,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this. If it is getting worse I would suggest documenting when it is happening and speaking to your GP in case there are any underlying issues (other than anxiety). Perhaps you could ask someone you trust (your daughter?) if she could go with you if that makes you feel more comfortable. It can be so scary to experience a dizzy attack like that, which of course doesn't help the anxiety. Thinking of you and hope you have some support to help you.

Nyny94
Community Member

Hi there, I don't know if this helps or I don't claim to be a professional but your post struck a chord with me. I also have health anxiety and for a number of years, I have been seeing a Dr separate my panic disorder attacks from what could be health issues. Firstly, I think there is nothing wrong in reaching out for help, especially with a family member, but I don't know if it's related but my anxiety often gives me dizziness and sudden loss of breath. I am always getting it checked I think it helps to find a Dr you are comfortable with who understands mental health because anxiety and panic attacks can manifest differently in people a lot of anxiety symptoms look like other health conditions and vice versa. I think for me the way I dealt with it was to talk through with a health professional about my concerns and about my anxiety, it might help. 

And all the best of luck, just know you aren't alone with health anxiety or worrying about your health, but there is help out there 🙂 

Academy
Community Member

Thank you. I will try this.

Academy
Community Member

Thank you. I think the fear after the very short dizzy spell is worse as it is totally debilitating.

Thank you.  This is the trouble. I think the fear after the attack is far worse than the short dizzy spell. It is totally debilitating. 

Academy
Community Member

thank you Mark, I am going to see the doctor early next week,with my daughter. I have read lots about anxiety,but it’s the fear after the short dizzy spell that lays me low.

David35
Community Member

My mum has the same problem. She's 76. When she gets up off the couch quickly, it often occurs. She has to steady herself on the wall, and then I have to come get her to walk her back to the couch. Other times, I think it's stress, sort of her form of a panic attack. After a while it goes.