FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Could I have Depression, as well as anxiety?

EmmaMay
Community Member

I have recently been diagnosed with Anxiety. I worry about things I can not control, like the end of the world, and smaller things such as going to school. I get so nervous being around people, I can never relax. I feel that I have to act in a certain way and never reveal myself to others. Which makes it difficult to make friendships. I have had several panic attacks. I feel sad, physically and emotionally drained, and hopeless. I often feel like I am useless and  have suicidal thoughts.Are these also symptoms of Anxiety? Or are these signs of depression?

2 Replies 2

Beetle
Community Member

HI EmmaMay

Yes you can have both. I am also recently diagnosed with Anxiety and depression. My GP assessed my illness via the DASS scale. U can also test yourself. Google DASS.

You sound a bit like me feeling useless and having suicidal thoughts.

Please do the DASS, call lifeline or beyond blue if u feel suicidal.Make sure you seek help so that your conditon can be treated. I struggled for years and didnt tell my doc how I realy felt and had therefore no treatment which nearly ended up in suicide.

Good luck let us know how u go .Best wishes.

Beetle

TJ80
Community Member

Hi EmmaMay

I am a lifelong anxiety sufferer. I understand how confused and stressed you must feel, but Anxiety can be managed though-you just have to learn about it. I suggest you do as much reading about Anxiety and even look into seeing a counsellor for some more guidance. Have your family and friends aware so they can help you on your journey. Dealing with Anxiety can make you feel depressed since it isn't a fun thing to deal with.

Dont let it get you too down, even though it is an awful feeling and you must feel so frightened. Once you know what it is, you will find it's not as scary as you imagine. There are so many resources available to help you- Beyond Blue is a great one. Keep talking it out with others too. You will get there 🙂

Take good care of yourself .