FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused and lost

Ghostboy
Community Member

I’ve never done this before or reached out to anyone for help but I really need some advice. I’m 21 and studying. I used to be confident and felt happy with my life. About two years ago it started to go downhill but I have no exact reason why. I started to go out less and less but I didn’t think anything of it. I feel like everything is an effort and I just don’t like going out or meeting new people anymore. Sometimes when I’m out in public I feel sick to my stomach. I told my mum I don’t think I can go to school anymore two days ago and a day after she said I need to keep up with my work. It’s hard when the person you think will understand, doesn’t at all.

im lost

1 Reply 1

jack85
Community Member

Firstly well done for reaching out and asking for help and discussing what’s going on in your head.

Sounds like you’re having a difficult time. I can relate to some of the things you’re feeling as I’ve experienced them before and still often do. It’s confusing and it’s difficult to make sense of things.

The best thing to do is visit your GP and discuss what’s going on and what you’re feeling, it may seem daunting but honestly it’s the best thing to do. And in retrospect it’s an extremely easy process and the GP will always be supportive and take the time to help and get to the bottom of what’s causing it all. You’ll also leave the doctors office feeling much better!

it must have been hard to not get the level of understanding you wanted for your mum. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t care or is dismissing your feelings. It most likely is what she thinks the best advice is and what you need to hear. Often people who don’t experience issues with their mental health are at a bit of a loss when trying to help someone who does so the advice can not always be the best, but I’m sure she has the best of intentions