FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chewing gum and anxiety

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone people constantly ask me why do you chew gum all the time. Well when I did my therapy groups we were all told one side effect of this antidepressant medication is that it can ruin your teeth. Good dental care is essential as I go to my dentist every 6 months and chewing gum keeps your mouth fresh and I find in the mornings especially I feel anxious so by chewing a little it helps calm me down . Can anyone else relate to this ?????   And I also have funny traits with my anxiety it makes me cough for no reason , move around a lot talk really fast give limited eye contact breathe fast when I speak I can have a nervous feel in my words does anyone experience this feeling with anxiety????  would love some feedback please
11 Replies 11

Rocky315
Community Member

Hey, I can certainly relate to the chewing part. I keep so many packets in my car, I'd be chewing all day. It keeps my stress down and relax. When I'm anxious I tend to clench my jaw and just grind my teeth which of course doesn't sound that very nice so I started to chew gum instead, so by saying that.. You're not alone!!

Girl_Anachronism
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sen, 

I do get the chewing part. It soothes the anxious voices that crave something repititive to do, just to not think about the fact that I am out of the house. I also have a little toy I play with, or my rings which do the job. 

I haven't heard about the link between teeth and antidepressants, so I'll look into that.

As for anxious habits, I do the resltess pacing, physical shakes in my arms and legs, the fast talking, a nervous stutter, eye twitiches and rapid breathing. 

GA

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Yehhhh    I recently got a called a cow from a so called guy who thinks hes a charmer NOT  haaaa hes the silly one who should hit the books and research anixiety especially this bloke has a university degree whos the smart one now . Thankyou rocky your a gem we are not strange this is part of having anxiety .

Thankyou Girl A  your a gem too yep all of us anxiety sufferers can hold hands in this journey to recovery

Holding shaky hands.Passing the (good) vibrations along. 🙂

Haaa Girl A I second that and well written

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Sen

I find that when I’m wishing to diet down and concentrate on eating only healthy food, that’s when I find chewing gum helps me a lot. It’s a distraction. The sugar-less Extra brand – oh, are we allowed to mention brands here? Because I think it probably important which variety you use, cause some can be heaped with sugar, which as a result, “isn’t” so flash for the ol teeth.

Yes yes, I have the limited eye contact thing and I find it quite uncomfortable when you find someone looking at you in a conversation – you know almost like they’re waiting to have an answer from you.

And of course, the time-honoured effort of talking in front of a number of people – where in front of one or two, you go ok; but double that number and more and you find your voice to quaver and not be near as strong – not to mention the sweaty palms as well.

Neil

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Yep I chew that brand Neil and its not as if I chew all day long its mainly in the morning only . Great to hear we are all on the same page here. We are who we are we cant change it but we can learn to manage it better that's all

Neil_1
Community Member

You're absolutely right Sen - learning to live with it - managing it a bit better and just trying to learn new or different techniques that will help us cope, just that little bit better.

And through places like this, where we can share thoughts (and all in absolute safety), but yeah, share thoughts, share experiences, and so much more - with so many posts, etc flying backward and forward, if by some chance we can say something that will make someone just think, "Hey, that's interesting - I might try that", then that'd be damn good I reckon.