FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can't keep a job.

Shanequa
Community Member

Hi I'm new to this so please forgive me.

I'm a 26 year old and in thr last 4-5 years I've worked in various places mostly 6 month contract jobs or it just hasnt worked out. Ive done Forklift driving, call centres, factory work etc. I have just started a new job in the last month at a vet clinic which is a job i have been interested in for years.

However, who I'm working for makes working there hard and I feel anxious and nervous wreck even before I get to work. She can be nice one day and I cant do a thing right the next day. I left my job previously for this one because its closer to home and the job I thought I wanted.

I just want a job I dont feel stressed in and am happy there but I'm starting to think its me that has the problem not the jobs or maybe I just havent found tbe right one? Im stuck though because I dont know what to do and Im financially stuck there.

Anyone have any advice please?

3 Replies 3

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Shanequa,

I'm sorry this new job is stressing you out and making you anxious.

Do you think it could be worse because you are still learning and new to this job? Maybe after a bit of time there it will become routine and less anxious. I usually find that I get really anxious in the first month or two, but after that I settle down.

If you really want to be in this type of work, but not in this particular workplace, maybe you can keep looking for a similar role while getting experience?

Please reply if you want to keep chatting.

Kind thoughts

Jess

Shanequa
Community Member

Hi Jess

I normally am like thst too. After a few months i am right. However in this job I feel sick with worry as sooon as the alarm goes off in the morning. Its never been that bad. My boss is quite moody too and speaks down to me quite regularly. Her negative attitude just makes it worse. I dont feel like i can ask questions or ask for help when i need it. Which is hard because were the only ones in the workplace. There isnt really any opportunity for another workplace where i live in this line of work and im not sure i want to continue with it after this experience. I just feel its my fault for picking the wrong job all the time. I really dont know what to do.

Hi Shanequa,

I know what you mean about picking the wrong job. I had about 2 years where every job I had the company ended up closing or reducing staff and I kept getting made redundant! It's easy to blame yourself and feel like a failure, but in truth a lot of the time it's just bad luck.

Also it's difficult to know whether a job will be right for you before you begin. Interviews are so short and often you don't get a lot of information. It would be very difficult to tell if your potential boss is crazy or rude.

I think it's better to try new things and have them not work out then stay in a place where you are not happy.

Are there any other areas of work you are interested?

Jess