FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The Perfect Storm - my true story

neens
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi I'm Neens, have been a long term Blue Voices member but have been travelling well lately. Just looking for some guidance from members on this one. I have recently applied for a 1 day a week paid position locally - I have worked there for 14 months as a volunteer, for the past two months in the role I applied for. Anyway, I disclosed my mental health status in this job for the FIRST time. Did I do the right thing or not? Also daughter has just been retrenched for the first time, we are moving house early next year and selling our house of 30 plus years. I'm calling it the perfect storm. Not able to get any answers from organisation as I've been blocked from person who interviewed me and the co ordinator's emails already. Does it make sense that I'm feeling anxious haha?
3 Replies 3

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Neen,

You say that you tis organisation has blocked you from sending them emails? That's awful! Are you still volunteering there?

Disclosing mental health is always tricky. In the past I have felt like I should be honest and tell them, but it has never ended well. I no longer do so.

However I am hopeful that the stigma regarding mental health in the work place will change. I think with 1 in 3 Australians having a mental illness workplaces will have to catch up soon.

Unfortunately none of that helps your situation. Is there anyone in the organisation you can speak to about it? Maybe human resources? I would try to get a response and if none was forthcoming I would probably register a complaint. Just to make it known that you are unhappy with the way they have dealt with your disclosure.

I hope your relocation go well.

Kind thoughts, Jess

neens
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for your reply jess334

No the organisation doesn't have a HR department as they are not for profit and I still have not been informed of who was successful of gaining employment. But have heard on the grapevine, i.e. I dropped in unexpectedly on Tuesday to pick up some stuff who obtained the position and it was the other volunteer. Don't know for certain but think we were both offered the same position in the organisation.

Have spoken to the organisation who organised the volunteering however and they are not impressed either. Have picked myself up, dusted myself off and applied for another more suitable role for next year.

Thanks for your concern.

regards,

Neens

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Neens,

That'a really disappointing that they treated you that way. Even not for profits should have procedures in place to advise applicants of the outcome!

I'm glad that you sound a more positive about next year.

Good luck, Jess