Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

yesyesyesa Anxious about work.
  • replies: 3

Hi, About two weeks ago I started my first job. I have been trained in these weeks and I was beginning to get comfortable. However after finished my last training shift everything has returned to its down hill state. I was so anxious about my first i... View more

Hi, About two weeks ago I started my first job. I have been trained in these weeks and I was beginning to get comfortable. However after finished my last training shift everything has returned to its down hill state. I was so anxious about my first independent shift and it did not go well. I forgot things and messed up so many times. I wanted to cry but I somehow kept it in. I had no clue what I was doing. All the managers and crew were also stressed which did not help. Maybe two of them knew I was new, which was not helpful. Everyone was really expectant and thinking about it makes me want to break down. I do not want to go back. The late shifts are a pain and I prefer the "omg i need a job" anxiety more than the "omg i dont know what im doing at work" anxiety. It doesnt help that one of my other friends have started working there and they are like "omg its so easy and fun", they are still being trained but I know they will hand things better than I do. Im really do not want to go back. Im unsure of how to get myself into thinking positively about the job.

Adrienne87 Returning to work during a breakdown. What do I do?
  • replies: 2

Hi all, I’ve never written here before but I really needed a boost of courage. I am 31 years old and I’ve always been an anxious person but never let it stop me from travelling the world. However 2 years ago I suffered a shoulder injury at my work an... View more

Hi all, I’ve never written here before but I really needed a boost of courage. I am 31 years old and I’ve always been an anxious person but never let it stop me from travelling the world. However 2 years ago I suffered a shoulder injury at my work and the stress started to slowly pile on me. I started workcover and experience a really horrible time on it due to bullying by my first rehab provider. I ended up having to take another job within my company due to the injury(leaving the role I loved), which came with a truck load of more responsibilities and pressure - as well as work place bullying and a negative environment. I went to my manager about everything above several times and it was just brushed off. Fast forward to July this year and I had my first panic attack at work. I ran out of there as fast as I could and since that day, I woke up everyday with a racing heart (that’s if I could sleep), sweating hands and feet and racing thoughts. I attempted to keep up with the work and worked from home but work kept piling more pressure on me until my body finally said enough! I’ve been off work since September and since then I checked myself into a facility(1 day I lasted there), I have tried anti depressants which I reacted badly too, tried various ones and no medications sit well with me. I have started seeing a psychologist weekly who is doing EMDR therapy on me. Everything was coming a long nicely with EMDR (physical symptoms had gone), until Wednesday when i was contacted by a return to work rehab provider who wanted to talk to me about getting back into some level of work. And of course.. I have had a huge set back- my mind doesn’t stop racing about going back to my job and I can barely move from room to room. I’ve barely gotten through each day. I feel my poor family and husband must be sick of my crying everyday and hearing the same thing over and over each day. I’m usually a really happy go lucky kind of girl but I’ve completely lost myself. I have a mortgage and I’m the bread winner between myself and my husband (he is an apprentice) so I’m terrified to quit my job but I can’t see any other option of moving forward. I’m also not in the right head space at the moment to take on a different job. I’m terrified! I never dreamed I would be in this situation. I’d love to hear from anyway how has left there job and recovered or just and words of advice. Thank you!

neens The Perfect Storm - my true story

Hi I'm Neens, have been a long term Blue Voices member but have been travelling well lately. Just looking for some guidance from members on this one. I have recently applied for a 1 day a week paid position locally - I have worked there for 14 months... View more

Hi I'm Neens, have been a long term Blue Voices member but have been travelling well lately. Just looking for some guidance from members on this one. I have recently applied for a 1 day a week paid position locally - I have worked there for 14 months as a volunteer, for the past two months in the role I applied for. Anyway, I disclosed my mental health status in this job for the FIRST time. Did I do the right thing or not? Also daughter has just been retrenched for the first time, we are moving house early next year and selling our house of 30 plus years. I'm calling it the perfect storm. Not able to get any answers from organisation as I've been blocked from person who interviewed me and the co ordinator's emails already. Does it make sense that I'm feeling anxious haha?

Shanequa Can't keep a job.

Hi I'm new to this so please forgive me. I'm a 26 year old and in thr last 4-5 years I've worked in various places mostly 6 month contract jobs or it just hasnt worked out. Ive done Forklift driving, call centres, factory work etc. I have just starte... View more

Hi I'm new to this so please forgive me. I'm a 26 year old and in thr last 4-5 years I've worked in various places mostly 6 month contract jobs or it just hasnt worked out. Ive done Forklift driving, call centres, factory work etc. I have just started a new job in the last month at a vet clinic which is a job i have been interested in for years. However, who I'm working for makes working there hard and I feel anxious and nervous wreck even before I get to work. She can be nice one day and I cant do a thing right the next day. I left my job previously for this one because its closer to home and the job I thought I wanted. I just want a job I dont feel stressed in and am happy there but I'm starting to think its me that has the problem not the jobs or maybe I just havent found tbe right one? Im stuck though because I dont know what to do and Im financially stuck there. Anyone have any advice please?

Slippers Worried about the future
  • replies: 6

I live with my elderly mother I am here carer. Once she dies I will need to leave the house. I haven't lived out of home before and I worry what will happen to me in the future. I don't have a lot of money saved, I do have a full time job however. I ... View more

I live with my elderly mother I am here carer. Once she dies I will need to leave the house. I haven't lived out of home before and I worry what will happen to me in the future. I don't have a lot of money saved, I do have a full time job however. I don't seem to be living at the moment, more existing worried about the inevitable fate of my mum. I worry about my future, I don't have the skill set to live on my own or somewhere to live once Mum dies. I am new to this forum so I apologize if Ive put this in the wrong area. I would like some advice on how to tackle my future, obviously people have moved out of home and been really happy in live, i just don't see my in that position.

GlitterRose Going back to work
  • replies: 5

I have had almost 4 weeks off work caring for my elderly mother and dealing with some other difficult family issues. I need to go back to work this week and I am terrified. Due to the anxiety my brain is functioning he best and I am very scared about... View more

I have had almost 4 weeks off work caring for my elderly mother and dealing with some other difficult family issues. I need to go back to work this week and I am terrified. Due to the anxiety my brain is functioning he best and I am very scared about being around people. Any advice on ow to ease back into work after severe anxiety and depression is appreciated.

Kmart96 Physical anxiety symptoms
  • replies: 4

Hi, I’ve been suffering from anxiety for nearly ten years now but it’s only recently that I’ve started getting really bad physical symptoms. I get severe aches and pains throughout my whole body, especially in my ribs which makes me more anxious and ... View more

Hi, I’ve been suffering from anxiety for nearly ten years now but it’s only recently that I’ve started getting really bad physical symptoms. I get severe aches and pains throughout my whole body, especially in my ribs which makes me more anxious and worried about my health. Just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience with it as I feel like I’m the only one

worrywarrior Experiences in overcoming phobias
  • replies: 2

Hi All This is my first post...I have been living with anxiety for many years but there is one thing I have never fully addressed and now has come a time where I need to face it which scares me greatly! I once had a panic attack at traffic lights whi... View more

Hi All This is my first post...I have been living with anxiety for many years but there is one thing I have never fully addressed and now has come a time where I need to face it which scares me greatly! I once had a panic attack at traffic lights while driving. I then became scared of traffic lights and avoided them, then I became nervous of driving in the city, and then after moving to country it became fear of driving in any large town. I know that avoidance just makes it worse but 10 years on from my original panic attack I have recently started a job which is going to force me to drive in a city. I guess I have been ashamed and never truly admitted this fear to any of my psychologists or anyone other than my husband. It was also never really necessary to overcome it. But now I am petrified and am realising it has possibly turned into a phobia. I am seeing a psychologist again soon with whom I plan to discuss this sole issue and face it once and for all. I was hoping to maybe gain some insights or tips from those who may have overcome their phobias or immense fears of things? I have moments of thinking 'how hard can it be?' but other times of thinking I am going to have to quit my job. But I like every other aspect of my job so really don't want to go down this path, just because of an irrational fear! I would love any words of wisdoms or even stories to inspire me and realise it is possible to move forward from this... Thanks everyone

Zevon Night time panic attacks
  • replies: 1

Have just started experiencing panic attacks, generally related to my claustrophobia . I wake up several times a night fearing death or worse, being in a confined space. I use DBT techniques and yin yoga to try and sort it out. At the end of the day,... View more

Have just started experiencing panic attacks, generally related to my claustrophobia . I wake up several times a night fearing death or worse, being in a confined space. I use DBT techniques and yin yoga to try and sort it out. At the end of the day, with all my “skills” and practice, I can’t sleep properly. The unsubstantiated fears have overcome my ability to sleep, and disrupt my life. Does anyone else experience this? It’s my worst waking nightmare. Any ideas?

Hey_ Hangxiety - help!
  • replies: 5

I suffer from anxiety generally, but it is at it's worst after a night of drinking. Obviously there is a simple solution there - don't drink! I have been working hard to try and limit my alcohol consumption to save myself the panic attacks next day. ... View more

I suffer from anxiety generally, but it is at it's worst after a night of drinking. Obviously there is a simple solution there - don't drink! I have been working hard to try and limit my alcohol consumption to save myself the panic attacks next day. However sometimes it is hard and you slip up. I had a big night last night and am lying in bed absolutely hating myself, going over and over and over the events of last night in my head. My heart is racing and I feel completely beside myself and at a loss of what to do. Which is why I'm here posting I guess! This time is particularly bad - we were at a friend's wedding and the night ended unpleasantly with an altercation between some friends. I wasn't directly involved, i dont think i did anything wrong but the memory is fuzzy. I was part of the group involved and can't help but feel like it was my fault and I ruined people's night. When you do have hangxiety, what do you do to get you through those hours of hell?