FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Any Advice?: Job & Financial Anxiety

J_D_F_C_
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that someone might have some advice or suggestions for me.....

I find myself in a job that I greatly dislike (OK, I hate it!) and it is the major cause of my current anxiety issues. I would resign in a heartbeat, however I recently got myself into a little financial predicament and unfortunately don't have any savings that I could rely on if I wasn't working, to cover rent or basic living costs. Bit of a vicious circle - need to leave this job (for my mental health and sanity) but need to stay (for the money). I'm only working 3 days a week (10hr days) at the moment and even then, I haven't managed to work every shift - I normally break down in tears within minutes of my arrival at work, or completely lose my cool after dealing with a customer on the phone and then breakdown in tears. I don't have any family/friends or a partner that I could ask for money (and probably wouldn't even if that was an option). The (practical) little voice in my head tells me that I need to keep working otherwise I'll be out on the street, which I absolutely understand and acknowledge that it's right, but I can't keep doing this too much longer.

I considered looking for a new job but not sure that I would be able to deal with that right now whilst I'm falling down the rabbit hole, nor do I think that I could put my best foot forward for a new employer in my current mindset.

I'm seriously at a loss as to what to do now!! I would love to just leave society behind and live 'off the grid' somewhere, but can't afford to that either!! LOL

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I could try to turn this around, or make some sunshine out of this thunder storm??

1 Reply 1

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi JDFC and welcome

It sounds like you are a bit anxious and about work as well as anxious about not working. I can see how this cycle can continous in a viscious cycle. Something you can try if you are having bad anxiety at work is deep breathing. Sounds silly but I used to do it when I was anxious at work. I would excuse myself to the bathroom and do some deep breathing for 2 minutes. It slows down the breath and the CNS which calms anxiety. I found it helped a little and helped me avoid a breakdown or full blown panic attack.

You sound like you want to look for another job but because of your current situation you are hesitant to find a new job because you are scared you will have the same negative experience. Have you considered looking for work in a different area? Maybe one that is less demanding and stressful? (I'm not too sure what area you work in so it may not be possible). Another thing you could consider is signing up for a job agency. My brother has gotten work though agencies before and he has found it very beneficial and they have helped him find a few jobs he likes. They also ask you questions about what areas you would consider working in and they try find one that suits you and your needs. This maybe a path you could take to find a new job. I do agree, as hard as it is to keep working at your current job, you may have to try and stay there till you can secure a new job, as you do not want to become homeless or get into debt.

I hope some of this has helped.