FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety meltdown

MaryG
Community Member

So I have posted here for my feelings of depression and my alcohol use and move this thread if you think it belongs elsewhere, but I had a serious incident that really scared me and made me finally realise that its ok to ask for help and get some. I was so desperate and totally convinced I was going to die. I tried lying down but my heart was pounding and seemed to stop when I lay down then my breathing would slow and I was sure i was dying. I thought i was having a stroke or a heart attack. The feelings of panic were so strong and scary. I ended up calling a friend and made it to a doctor. He gave me some pills which almost immdiately took the worst of the symptoms away. The shaking and sweating and pounding heart. It left the craving emptiness in my guts though. I couldnt seem to relieve it with anything at all. In the back of my mind I think I was craving a drink as I recently came off a "bender" maybe that's what triggered this whole thing. I resisted and stuck with the meds only and I feel tired but OK today and actually able to work. Going to see my own GP when I get back to finally come clean about the whole picture. It feels OK to let people in to help. Thanks for listening. MaryG

1 Reply 1

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Mary,

I'm just waiting for a friend with similar nightly benders to hit rock bottom so he can get some help and save his marriage.   You did well to even manage to call a friend in your worst moment.  I guess we are all good at pretending nothing's wrong.   Alcohol rehab is very taxing mentally.  Not your most fun course.  Good Luck.

Adios, David.