FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety Issue

Snowbunny
Community Member
Hi there - all of a sudden I have been feeling extremely anxious. About 10 years ago I moved into a house and had a large mortgage. After a few years I decided that perhaps I should sell 2 lovely blocks of land and pay off the mortgage which I did. Now I just can't get it out of my head that I should have waited longer as prices have gone up and it is really ripping me apart. Does anyone else know what this is like?
3 Replies 3

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Snowbunny,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Congratulations on paying off your mortgage it must feel wonderful not to have one.

Just try to stay present and not get caught up in the what if s……

Just try to let go of the procrastination stay present and grateful for all that you have this will bring you peace 🙏

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Snowbunny,

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong, you did the right thing, not only right but also wise.

It might not be a perfect move but none of us is perfect, none of us is prophet. Just like no one can accurately predict the turning point of the stock market or exchange rate.

Would you like to share why you are so demanding of yourself? Are you treating yourself the same way in other aspects of your life? Maybe you’re putting too much pressure on yourself.

Maybe you can think from a different perspective, take care of yourself, and make yourself a little more relaxed and happy.

Mark

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there Snowbunny and welcome to the forum!

It does sound to me like you have made a wise decision and congratulations in being mortgage free.

Yes I do know exactly what is is like - having done the same thing three times. That is, selling a real estate asset and seeing the price skyrocket shortly after. I am talking hundreds thousands of dollars!

What I found helped was to remind myself that at the time I was happy with the price I got, and that the asset I stayed with or purchased, was also going up in price. To dwell on 'What if?' is a waste of time as it has happened and we cannot control the past.

I even got to the stage after one sale of driving past the block I sold which was waterfront, and bemoaning the fact that I wouldn't be living there any more.

I think that is called 'Seller's remorse'. The best solution I found was to ask myself if I still wanted to be active in real estate. The answer was yes, as I enjoyed it. So I now look to the future and keep an eye out for opportunities that might interest me - at the same time real estate agents are asking me if I want to sell my current home.

I'm a lot more careful now and risk adverse, but still find it fun. Doing research on property value trends is fun.

Maybe your anxiety is just a phase you are going through. Wait a few months and when real estate prices drop again as they are bound to, you might congratulate yourself in the price you got?

Anyway I hope this little story has helped a little Snowbunny - you are in a rare situation of being mortgage free, something lots of people would be envious about.

So it sounds like you are very smart and a high achiever- be proud about that!

Happy to chat more. All the best, The Bro.