FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety is through the roof after work troubles - ideas on how to cope?

arimadik13
Community Member

Hi all,

This is my first ever post on a forum. Last week I was fired from my casual job of 2 years (where I basically worked full time hours) as my boss doesn't want to pay me the award rate for being a casual 20 year old, but wouldn't let me switch to part time. He did it in front of other staff and it was very embarrassing, and since then my anxiety has been through the roof. I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 12 (now 21), and for the past few years it has been really manageable - however now I feel as though I am back to square one and all of my self confidence is gone. I have had trouble sleeping, zero appetite and constantly feel as though I am on the verge of a panic attack. In my mind I know I will find a new job and now have more time to focus on university - so trying to focus on the positives - but its like my body is in an extreme state of alert and anxiety and I just don't know how to calm down. My family isn't supportive and I don't like to burden my friends with my issues, so...my question is, has anyone been through something similar, or has any advice? I just want to feel ok again 😞

2 Replies 2

Ola
Community Member

Oh buddy, been there. Sometimes when we are in a situation we don't realise just how bad it is in the moment, and when it ends we can be in a bit of shock. I worked in a job once that was toxic, but I found it so hard to leave.

When I finally did leave I had a break down and experienced awful anxiety and depression for months. I learned a few things from that experience. I realise work wasn't the only factor, but it had a big impact on my mental health and confidence.

I'm sorry you had to have this experience, but the way you explained the environment it sounds like you are much better off now. Why would you want to work for somebody who'd treat you that way in front of other people, or at all for that matter. Especially when there's jobs out there where you'll be appreciated for your work, and treated with respect.

You can't control how other people speak to you, but you can decide how you'll feel about it. And you're worth more than letting some fool put you in a slump.

After two years working full time hours I'm sure you became used to the routine, it was familiar and you probably had friends there. And now it's gone, just like that.

Change can be hard to manage sometimes, especially sudden change. But things have changed for you in the past and you're still standing. You've felt the emotion of embarrassment before and here you are. You already know that it passes in time, so why not decide to let it pass now instead.

So take a few days to grieve, make a decision about your next steps and get to work.

It won't be long before you have a new routine, a better job and are out there making new friends amongst your workmates.

Just do one thing today towards your future, then another tomorrow.

All the best mate.

arimadik13
Community Member
Thank you so much for your advice Ola - it was really helpful. 🙂