FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety causing nausea

Leeshs
Community Member

Hi everyone

I have suffered with anxiety before but nothing as crippling as what I am at the moment. My husband has gone away for placement for 5 weeks and my mum had a bad fall resulting in breaking her hip so she is currently in hospital. I am just not coping with all of this at all not like I usually would. So I am judging myself on how badly I am dealing with it when I should be better than this. I am constantly nauseous and have lost my appetite - can manage to get some sleep but am often woken by stomach pains / nausea. Dr gave me medication for nausea and am going to see my psychologist today but just terribly scared that I won't get through this challenging time.

8 Replies 8

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Leeshs,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time at the moment. It's awful when difficult things happen all at once. I get nauseated when anxious too. It's hard to make yourself eat when you feel sick and anxious.

I hope you can try and stop judging yourself for not handling this without anxiety. It is a lot to deal with and anyone would have difficulty coping in that situation.

It's great that you are seeing your GP and a psychologist. Getting help is a great first step and having health professionals behind you is important.

Please keep posting here if your able, would like to know that you are ok.

Jess

Leeshs
Community Member

Hi Jess

thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it. I am cranky with myself because this is not the first time he has been away for an extended period of time and all those times I've been fine! I tried to get out and about a bit more this afternoon and have made myself eat a proper dinner which I am trying to see as a positive move forward!

I will be OK won't I? That's my biggest worry!

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Leeshs,

Yes you will - you are already taking steps to make sure you stay ok.

I understand. My partner travels for work too. Luckily he hasn't had to go since our baby has been born, but I'm already feeling anxious how I will cope with the next time.

But both of us are stronger than we think!

Jess

Leeshs
Community Member
I just can't see that strength at the moment 😞 so many people cope when their loved one goes away, but it's now been 6 days of this anxiety hell 😞 Dr has given me medication to calm down but I'm scared about taking it

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

The strength is that you are still going even though you are anxious. It's not weak to have anxiety - I truely believe we are stronger than people who don't have to deal with mental illness.

Can I ask why you are scared to take the medication?

Leeshs
Community Member
Makes me feel like I'm weak and I worry about the side effects that it will make things worse

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Taking medication must be something you feel comfortable with doing. Side effects can be scary if you get them, however not everyone does.

But you needn't feel weak for needing medication. Our brains work differently from other peoples. The same way someone with asthma lungs work differently from ours. We wouldn't consider them weak for taking their medication.

I've taken short term relaxing medication in the past to get me through hard times. I see them as just another tool I can use to get through.

Angsty
Community Member

Hi Leeshs,

Feel deeply for you and understand what you're going through. As someone who suffers ongoing and often "chronic" anxiety, and have done so for a few years, I can relate to everything you're experiencing, both mentally and physically.

I know it's the hardest thing to do, and it is the thing I struggle most with, but please do try to stop judging yourself and putting yourself down. You are not weak! What you are dealing with would be challenging for most, the fact that you're doing it whilst suffering with anxiety, that makes you stronger than most.

Medication is a personal choice. I take it, that's my choice. Whatever your choice, don't let 'feeling weak' for taking it be a deciding factor. People take medication for all sorts of ailments and aren't considered weak for doing so. Taking medication for anxiety is no different.

Hoping today was a better day for you x