FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and dating

Beekeo
Community Member
Hi all!
I need to find out if anyone has had similar experiences.

I tend to have to horrible problem when I go on a date with a guy I like. The next day I wake up with major anxiety. I can't breathe, I hate being alone. And my mind races 100 miles an hour. Will I see him again? Does he want to see me?
Having the desperate need to modify my life to cater to seeing him BC I'm scared he's going to lose interest.
I get anxiety when he doesn't reply to a msg straight away and the cycle begins again.
This has happened almost everytime I have been on a date with someone I really connect with.

My friends are super supportive and say that I'm the one he should try and win over. But my logical side and emotional side don't seem to agree.

Anyone out there similar to me??
Or any advice on how I can control it?
Thanks
1 Reply 1

BorderCollie
Community Member

Hey Beekeo,

Not so much anymore, but I used to reflect your thoughts mentioned above all the damn time. “Does he like me?” “Should I have said that?” “What if he thought X,Y,Z?”.. it can be a really vicious cycle.

It sounds as though your anxiety flares up because this person/situation is important to you, which usually means that it aligns with your values & that’s okay. I think it would be useful to remind yourself that (although it can be difficult), how he responds and the time that he does it in isn’t in your control.. you can only control how you act from there on.

What you can do is write down 3 things you like about yourself. Remind yourself that you have great qualities that the world can learn and experience from you.

There’s also a possibility that you have these “head miles” when he could just be busy at work, in the shower, be pretty poor at replying... None of these are a reflection of what he thinks of you. Save yourself the turmoil and breathe through it. Try to reduce the severity of your feelings by noting them and separating them from you, because you’re not your anxiety 🙂

Im not sure if that helped, I hope it did. There’s always someone to chat too on here aswell.