FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety about full time work

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hi

I currently have a part time job and the thought of working full time sends me into a massive anxiety attack I'm so scared of working full time because my home is my safe place, I was just wondering if this is normal for anxiety suffers and if anyone else feels this way. Thank you

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Fizz wizz, I don't feel as though you're the only person who feels this way, because the spare time you have off, you can spend at home, doing whatever pleases you.

Sometimes anxiety overweighs the possible chance to bring home a full wage, that's what a mental illness can do, it's so powerful it will affect any of us.

Can I ask you if it will be in the environment?

Geoff.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Fizz Wizz,

Your definitely not alone in feeling this way. My home is my safe space too. As an anxiety sufferer it is important to me to have a certain amount of time to myself at home and anything that encroaches on that can cause anxiety. I look at this as time to recharge my 'social batteries'.

When I had to return to work full time I found an 8 hour day really difficult. I was lucky to work near a public garden, so I would spend my lunch time outside either walking or just sitting alone recharging for the afternoon. This really helped me get used to being around people all day.

Is there somewhere safe near by you can disappear to at lunch to be by yourself?

Jess

Hi jess334

Thanks for you reply unfortunately there's no where I can really go but my house i love nothing more then being at home all safe. I work part time which I've been able to deal with but some days I just reali feel like being at home.

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hi Geoff

Thank you for the post anxiety van deffaintly take over your life and stop you enjoying things that you usually would I work part time in retail at the moment which is fine because it gives me sometime to spend at home. I just go in to a panic thinking about full time work because then I feel I'll be away from my home which is my safe place.