FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

8 weeks sober and still feeling effects of withdrawal

Kmart96
Community Member
For about a year and a half I was a heavy pot user until about 8 weeks ago when I quit cold turkey. It’s caused so many problems for me since and my anxiety is the worst part of it. I’ve been put on a new medication which is definitely helping but I still don’t feel 100% yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and something I can do to help wade the physical effects
2 Replies 2

RT93
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Kmart96,

Congratulations on being eight weeks sober! That is such a fantastic achievement and you should be very proud of yourself. It's not easy to remain sober, especially in the first few weeks during withdrawal but you are doing a fantastic job.

It is going to take a little while for you to start to feel more like yourself again but make sure you stay hydrated and try and eat healthy foods as junk food can sometimes make you feel tired. Also, try and do some exercise, even just a little. Maybe go for a walk, or a run around your local area. This will also help distract yourself from the physical withdrawal.

Maybe have a think about what kind of activities you enjoy. I know that when I am not feeling 100% I like to listen to music. Is there is something that you like to do, maybe engage in that and hopefully that might help.

Meditation and mindfulness is also another great thing to do to help the physical effects. Just go onto Google and search mindfulness techniques or search YouTube for some guided meditation.

If you start to feel as though you are struggling to cope with the withdrawal effects please don't hesitate to reach out. If possible, talk with your family and friends or you can always call the BeyondBlue support line on 1300 224 636. The people who answer the phone are fantastic and might be able to give you some more advise.

You are doing so well and don't forget to acknowledge your success!

RT93

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Kmart,

Well done on 8 weeks! That is a huge achievement 🙂 I admire your determination...

I think RT93 has offered some excellent suggestions, so you’re in good hands here.

I might add a couple of helpline/website options that I think might help you. If you’re interested, you might like to give them a call for advice on how to manage the withdrawal symptoms.

• Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS): if you type “alcohol and drug information service (plus name of your state)” in your browser, the appropriate website should show up. There’s a different helpline number and webpage for each state.
  • Counselling Online: offers online and phone counselling (plus other services) for drug and alcohol related issues, and is funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Health. If you type “counselling online drug and alcohol”, the website should show up.

I hope this helps a little, and congratulations once again on 8 weeks sobriety 🙂

Kind and caring thoughts,

Pepper