FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

62 year old male who is confused, anxious and possibly depressed.

JMP
Community Member

I dont kow why I feel this way but I feel as if I have to keep proving myself.  I think I have been successful in my career and I have a wife and adult daughter but I feel extraordinarily alone. I think I try to please everyone but I know I dont. My wife says my issues stem from my childhood but my parents are dead and I dont feel I have to please them any more.  I think I had as normal a childhood as most but maybe more fantasy then is really healthy.  I am the eldest of three.  Was I trying to attract my parents attention all the time and failed?  I broke my right arm twice so that must have grabbed a bit of attention!

I have never been good dealing with people and I know I wold try and hide but my job has, for the past 25 years, put me in front of people as a CEO.  I have felt the pressure of 'performing' but not really being myself.  I want to retire in a few years time but am anxious that I will be more alone than I feel now. I have recently taken up golf and rekindled my interest in watercolour painting. I sometimes wish I was dead but I dont want to kill myself. Can anyone help me as I cant talk to anyone about this.

1 Reply 1

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi JMP,

Do you think maybe your role as a CEO has hindered you from being able to connect with people on a one-to-one level, because people see you as ‘the boss’ and not the bloke they can have a drink or go out to dinner with?  

Never being satisfied with your achievements in life can have its positives, driving us to do more, but striving for perfection and believing we haven’t made an impact on peoples’ lives when we have is going to burn you out over time, and it sounds like that’s what’s happening.

Why do you feel you can’t talk to anyone about this, especially your wife?  Or close friends?  Are you afraid that saying ‘I wish I was dead but I don’t want to kill myself’ will scare them too much?  

Try not to worry about having these feelings despite having a ‘normal’ childhood, they can happen to anyone and comparing yourself against others who have had more traumatic things happen to them is likely to make you feel worse.  You’re feeling how you’re feeling, so just concentrate on yourself for a bit.

Picking apart why you feel depressed or alone can be helpful sometimes, but going for an archaeological dig into your past is not always so.  Looking at what’s missing in your life now and what you can do to improve your wellbeing is more forward-looking, and you’ve already started doing that by reconnecting with pastimes you enjoy.

What about the people in your life? How connected do you feel to your wife, your daughter, the rest of your family, friends? 

Best
CB