FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

19 Years Later...

agoatnamedgrace
Community Member

Diagnosed with PTSD, depression, multiple forms of anxiety and panic disorder. It's 19 years later and it still controls my life...

These illnesses have controlled employment, my finance, friendships, relationships, family. You name it and it has its grasps on every aspect of my life. Is it ever going to get better?

I've seen psychologists, I've been on medication for 10 years. Surely I wasn't just born to suffer with this all my life?

Feeling hopeless and helpless.

L

4 Replies 4

DorianGray
Community Member

Morning L (or is it Grace),

I too have suffering from anxiety and OCD for 10+ years and I just wanted to reply to your message and say it's great you joined and posted on here, you will recieve some great advice and know that there are a lot of people who although they do not know you are here to listen and try to help.

Much Love

Dorian

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello L, living long term with mental illnesses it can start to feel like nothing you do makes a difference. At those times in my life, I have found that examining what my expectations are can be helpful. What do I mean by "better"? How am I wanting to feel? Where do I want to be in life? What are some of the small steps I can take towards that?

Where are things for you at the moment?

sagebrush
Community Member

Hi L

I'm not a bible basher, but have you tried finding God?

I think after 19 years anything is worth a try.

Cheers

John

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello, it's very difficult for you to suffer from all these illness's which has taken control of your life for so long, unfortunately that's the power they have and even once we are able to overcome them, they are still part of our life, which will then cause us to have a relapse.
The biggest question is how do we know whether or not we have been able to overcome depression, do we feel better, do we feel as though depresion has totally gone, well probably, but it won't stop the black dog from still following us, it's just that we have tamed it, we know our short falls and we know what circumstances will cause us to fall back into depression, so we have to try and go down another path, because if you stay heading in the same direction then nothing will improve.
Change friendships, change your choice in another career so every aspect in your life will be new for you, because if you stay where you are now then nothing will get better, change direction. Geoff.