FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Working with worries

Hb5598
Community Member

Hello, this my second post. i am currently in a math class and I can't find motivation for the life of me. I have been falling behind in most classes because of anxiety and clinical depression. what should i do to get some ideas and start catching up?

from a troubled student who does not believe in himself.

10 Replies 10

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Hb5598,

Thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry that you are struggling with keeping up at the moment. I understand how incredibly difficult it can be to stay on top of school work when you are trying your best to just get through the day.

I think it could be worth talking to your math teacher about how your mental health is impacting your ability to complete your maths work. From there, you might discuss ways in which your learning can be supported to ensure you are getting the best chance at doing your personal best in maths class.

You might also want to focus on doing things to take care of your mental health, like participating in self-care activities (hobbies, meditation etc.), making sure you have good night sleep, exercising etc. It might be worthwhile to also see a mental health professional (if you are not already seeing one) to discuss how your conditions are impacting your everyday functioning and ways in which you can learn to cope with your anxiety and depression.

I wish you all the best and encourage you to continue reaching out on the forums!

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Hb5598,

I'm sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to keep up due to your anxiety and depression. It sounds like that's got you quite worried and I understand it can be really challenging and stressful.

As livi_mivi mentioned, you could try and speak to your teachers to see if there's anything they can do to help support your learning. If your school has a counsellor, they could also be a helpful person to have while you are at school, in case you need someone to talk to or someone to help you speak to your teachers.

Otherwise, are your parents supportive? Perhaps it could help to speak to them and see if there are any ideas you could come up with together and speak to school about?

James

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear this. The other champs have given some good responses too!

Do you have a school counsellor you could talk to? Or, are you able to talk to your teachers and ask for some extra help? Get a tutor? There are so many things you can do to take charge here, you are taking the right step in recognising you need some help to catch up. That is OKAY!

As James said, if your parents are supportive you could let them know and maybe ask if they could fund a tutor for you?

I hope things improve for you and remember us at BB are always here!

Jaz xx

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Hb5598,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been feeling this way. As someone who has pursued studies for a long time I can completely relate to the overwhelming feeling that can happen when you feel behind in your work and don't know where to start.

I really agree with the others that (if you feel comfortable to do so of course) that you speak to your teachers, and/or parents for support. As someone who has mentored and tutored students I truly appreciate when they can be open for me as otherwise some people are so good at masking that they are going through a tough time. It can be really difficult when you feel as though you are going through something by yourself.

Also, when I don't know where to start I like to 'chip' away at tasks. Each one small task that you complete brings you closer to catching up. It is kind of like the mentality of one foot in front of another and then you realise that you have walked a mile!

I hope things improve for you and that you are soon supported. You are definitely not alone and we are definitely here for you!

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Hb5598,

I'm sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that its hard when we feel we are falling behind in our studies.

Anxiety and depression are hard to deal with and they can impact us in many ways including our motivation and this isn't your fault.

Are you currently receiving professional help to manage your anxiety and depression?

These conditions don't define the person that you are you are still you.

Please try to start talking positively to your self and build yourself up.

Once you start to believe in yourself anything is possible.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Hb, there could be many reasons why this is happening and if I can suggest a couple or so which you may be able to relate to:

-a worry about getting into the course at uni

-a fear your best friend/s are doing better at school work

-trouble at home causing you to feel like this

-a relationship where there might be concerns

If one or a couple of these are troubling you, then there is no harm in asking for help, and if doing this face to face may be a problem then you can contact Kids Helpline ( 5 years to 25) 1800 55 1800, by phone, web chat or online as well as us.

People who don't believe in themselves is a stage many of us go through, so we begin to doubt ourselves, but doesn't this also happen to trained professional sportsmen/women, so these people need to air their feelings to someone who will listen and help understand that you can overcome this hurdle, when you come back to the basic points in your life.

Please let us help you, because I know this has happened with me.

Geoff.

Hb5598
Community Member

Hi, Thanks for all the responses! i will try to answer as many questions as possible.

i have talked to my teacher many times about my mental health and we are working something out

yes, my mum is supportive. (my dad and mum divorced)

i do have a psychologist and i am in contact with the wellbeing team at school

and finally, yes, i think i might make the call tonight.

thanks again for the support.

Hey Hb5598,

Thank you for the update, I am very glad to hear that you are taking the necessary steps to better aid you in your studies and building a support team to help you with your mental health.

These are all really great steps and I hope that they can help you in building a better coping system to support your learning goals. I read something the other day that was something along the lines of " you do not rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems". Basically, your ability to achieve your learning goals will only be as good as the system that you use. Investing greater time, effort and care into your mental health and your study habits will allow you to create a system that supports and helps you achieve the results that you want.

I wish you all the best and believe in you!

Hi Hb5598,

Thank you so much for keeping us updated and it is very nice to hear that you have good support around you. Please keep us updated (if you feel comfortable to do so of course) as we truly care about you here!