FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel stuck being discriminated for my disability

Guest_0784
Community Member

I’m at a state where I’ll just have to post this, even if my display name hasn’t changed.
I’ve been dealing with Autism, and other mental health concerns including PTSD for a long time. But recently, I’ve been having random dizzy and cardiac spells which have made me struggle to talk, walk, or stand at home, and in public. In the end, I was diagnosed with a FND (Functional Neurological Disorder) called drop attacks.

But this hasn’t ended discrimination I’ve been facing in the public.

Public Transport, especially Trains have been a favourite for all my life. If something was wrong, the trains were a safe haven. But not anymore…
I’ve been constantly harassed, humiliated, and discriminated. They think I’m on drugs, drunk, or sometimes a terrorist! I’m constantly getting customers trying to push me off the platform, staff thinking I’m faking my disability, staff and customers mocking my voice, and when I try to speak up about it, it gets shut down constantly!

These examples, and additional research has shown that Public Transport services in Australia, have a significant lack of culture, with staff thinking that they’re transport trains, not people. With the rest of my family having to deal with they’re own concerns, I’m stuck in an abusive system in school, home, “work”, and out in public. I can’t say too much at the moment because I’m still shaken from incidents 6 years ago,  to some from last night!

Posting this will put me at risk for my safety in public, and will risk my future career, and will cause consequences within my circle. But I need to do this, it’s not only me who’s been through this. And I will continue this until a change is made.

1 Reply 1

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Guest 0784,

Im so sorry that you are experiencing this from other people.

Please know that the way other people treat you is a reflection of themselves and not you.

It shows the lack of understanding that other people have of some one else, they choose to judge instead of understand and this is completely on themselves.

Im sorry you are in an abusive system no one should be a target for bullying. Have you been able to speak up about this at school and work?

I can see you are very passionate about seeing change and this is great to see.

Are you currently seeing a health professional?

Please remember we can’t always control what others do in life but what we can control is our reaction to it. This is where our power is.