FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I can't tell if I'm actually trying or putting any effort into making positive changes in my life...

fleshblur
Community Member

So, I've been struggling. I keep losing and failing, and I'm tired. But I also want to do better and change. It's hard and I can't tell if I'm actually trying or putting any effort into changing or doing something different because my times where I trial something different don't last long. Then looking back into it, I'm not even sure if I tried at all.

I just feel so defeated or like I've given up a decent portion of the time, and tired so often.

3 Replies 3

est72
Community Member

Hello,

I feel similarly, in the sense that I'm not even sure if I'm trying. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I feel a sense of comfort when I'm depressed because as terrible as it is, depression has always allowed me to recover and cope with certain things, so maybe I subconsciously don't want to come of out that state? All I really want is to have a productive day-to-day life but it's so difficult to imagine the sheer amount of effort that that lifestyle requires, there would simply be too much I'd have to accomplish to achieve it and I know as soon as I have a bad day it would all my effort would go down the drain. I really do want to try but it all seems so tiring.

I hope everything is well ā¤ļø

Sophie_M
Hi fleshblur,

We are so sorry to hear that you have been struggling and feeling so defeated or like you've given up. We understand that this must be so overwhelming and exhausting for you. Please know that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

If you would like to talk to someone we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupportā€Æ One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We also strongly urge that in overwhelming moments you get in touch with our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

fleshblur
Community Member

Hey est72,

Thank you, and I hope things go well for you as well šŸ™‚