FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Aware of my breathing all the time!!

Yolo16
Community Member

It all started when I was 16. It was the first time I tryed smoking which was one cigar! I'm 19 now and have not done any type of smoking since. I really worried about the time I had that cigar and panicked it would hurt my fitness. I thought about it so much I became aware of my breathing. Now it feels like I'm alwAys out of breath because that's all I concentrate on now. My breathing! I can't help it! Any tips for it???? Any medication suggestions or meditation tips?? Or anything?? I just want to break this cycle 

7 Replies 7

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Yolo16

Thank you for your post and welcome to BeyondBlue.

First of all, have you ever spoken to a health professional about what you are feeling?  From what you say, you have not been placed on any medication so I also assume you have not spoken to anyone.  If you have not, then can I strongly recommend that you do.  Although I am not an expert or any form health practitioner, on the surface it sounds like you may suffer some form of anxiety.  Is that what you yourself think?

Whether you do or don't suffer from any anxieties, you obviously feel unwell about yourself.  So that is in itself a sign that you need to speak at least to your GP.

But I am interested in hearing more about you and the feelings that you are going through, so would you please reply to this post and tell us a little bit more of your circumstances (for example, do you have the support of family or friends?).   

Looking forward to your reply

Take Care

K

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Yolo,

Some would say it's a gift to be aware of the breath, as it's often used as an anchor, something that is ever present, that we can rely on to keep us grounded.

I can understand though that it would be frustrating to be aware of it all the time, especially to the point that it's causing you breathlessness.

I wonder what thoughts are still attached to this idea that you once smoked a cigar? Are most of them worrying thoughts? Often worrying thoughts can begin with "what if..?", "I shouldn't have..." "Why did I...?" It's possible that if you still have some of these negative thoughts attached that it's likely to be the thoughts that are causing your anxiousness rather than the fact that you are aware of your breath.

If this is the case, you might like to google Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. CBT is an approach used for anxiety that helps reduce our worries, negative feelings, and the negative impact of bodily sensations, by letting us come up with a less worrisome, more balanced way of thinking.

I also wonder if you have tried diaphragmatic breathing. This is a form of deep breathing that can help slow your breath and in turn your heart rate. Again you can google this. When we think of deep breathing we tend to think of deepening the inhalation, what this does is increases the amount of oxygen we take in, and increases our heart rate. A more comfortable approach is to lengthen the exhalation. This expels levels of carbon dioxide and balances the levels of oxygen Vs carbon dioxide. The longer you exhale for, your inhalation should eventually come to you quite naturally, without much effort.

If you want a relaxation tip, you could try progressive muscle relaxation. Have a look at "8 minutes to Calm" in youtube.

I hope some of these strategies are useful. They have definitely helped me when I've felt out of breath or panicked.

AGrace

Vegetarian Marshmallow
Community Member

I think you should go to the doctor.  Maybe you're asthmatic?

Yolo16
Community Member

Hi hideaway! I have not discussed this with any family members only my GF... I have seen a counciler and she has recommended lexam as the medication now I'm a serious sports player and I worry that the medication will mess up my sporting career

Yolo16
Community Member

Hi! Thank you so much for the reply! It it a terrible thing and even at work I tend to think about it! It's driving me crazy

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Yolo,

Did you speak with the Dr about the side effects of the medication, and what impact it might have on your sporting engagements? You may find it has little impact, and might help you with your ability to focus as opposed to continually focusing on your breathing all the time.

AGrace

aadilsocd
Community Member

Sorry I know this is old, but hoping it may help someone.

If you’re having a lot of anxiety and can’t stop thinking about a bodily sensation like blinking, breathing or swallowing, then you probably have what’s called sensorimotor OCD.

I’m fortunate to be someone who successfully recovered from sensorimotor OCD. As theres still a lack of information on how to treat it as well as a lack of access to a suitable therapist for many, I've written a brief guide on overcoming sensorimotor OCD at https://sensorimotorocd.net/. It's based primarily on CBT and ERP. I hope it is useful to people who are struggling with this, though of course does not replace a qualified therapist who can address the issue.