FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Thanks

Marymag
Community Member

Hi, someone from BB called me earlier tonight in response to a distressing comment or a thread i started or etc. Im still trying to find my way in this site/page.
im a but tech backwards.
Im safe for now. Thanks

Im just really struggling to get real ongoing help at the moment, my GP retired a yr ago and i havent found a new one im happy with, and my mental health has declined rapidly over the past few months, just lately its been especially bad so im in a bit of a tough spot. Im certain i need a meds review and to start back with a psyc or councellor, its just such and effort to get out of bed, let alone shower etc. Im sure my posting/writting will be fairly erratic for a while but its helping, im not somebody who diarises at all but im finding this very cathartic, esp when others relate, the saying “ a problem shared, is a problem halved” seems to apply here.
Im grateful to all of you brave people who have written in these forums and feel I'm among my own kind, I'm also grateful for all who have commented.
Im scared of how agitated and reactive i can get, its really distressing, ive never had this much trouble grounding myself, ive been practicing mindfullness for many years now and am drawing on every tool in the box with very little affect, so all your tips and reminders are appreciated.

Thanks for letting me ramble n rant.

4 Replies 4

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Marymag

Its really good to have you as part of the forum family. You provided heartfelt care to Centuared and shared your own life experience. I didnt have the self esteem/confidence to do that when I joined the forums in 2016! I wish I did

You mentioned in your opening post ' Im grateful to all of you brave people who have written in these forums'

You are very kind Marymag and many members/posters would love your comment 🙂

You are the brave one by being a new member. We really hope you can stick around...at your convenience

my kind thoughts

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Marymag, can I totally agree with Paul, and it may be helpful to click on 'All Posts' and select which topic may help you, and then progress on to other sections.

We are all here to help others struggling with any type of MI, and we can do this, simply because we have suffered ourselves and know what's involved.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Marymag. 😺 Indeed you are welcome. Many, if not all of us have come here because we feel a need for some support, & with an idea about helping other, which is helpful to ourselves.

I think it is a great idea to take a long look around, read threads & post as you feel comfortable.

Those breathing exercises, which I so often forget to do, might be one of the best ways I know to calm me, because they really, actually work on the body. When I've done them, my heart rate slows, my pulse slows, I even feel the activity in my brain becomes quieter while I am doing the deep & slow breaths, with the holding, & even a few is enough to feel a difference. My PDr* explained it far better than I have.Maybe I don't really need to know that doing the breathing exercises has a physiological effect on the body as a whole, in order to enjoy the result. I'm just really curious about what & why etc.

Now all I need is to remember how to, when I need to breathe!

& I like having a sense of humour. I enjoy humour from others, too. I find it helps to keep me 'grounded' & to keep a certain perspective that doesn't let me take everything too seriously that I, inevitably, can't stand it. all.

& I impose a limit of sorts, insisting to myself, that I cannot be with the worst of my thoughts & memories 24/7. I used to have to tell myself, go think about something else, do something, go out, put on some music, anything, just give myself a break. Lately I need to rest more, so I am here less, but I will be around.

I enjoy the support & interactions I have with some people here. It's not possible to meet & talk with everyone - no-one has that much time. I feel a benefit from thinking I have in some small way been able to help someone. I try to keep in mind those people who might be reading, & hope to help them too.

If something good can come from where we've been & from where we are now, then that is plenty to hope for & hang on to.😺

Warmly,

mmMekitty

*PDr = My current Psychiatrist, whom I expect to continue talking to for the foreseeable future😺.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Marymag,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Please chat to us more when you are ready, we are happy to support you.