FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stuggling Single Mum who needs help!!!

Single_Mum2021
Community Member

Hey there everyone 🙂

not really sure if this what you say or even where to begin or if this is even the right place for what I need but here I am,

im a single mum with a beautiful young two year old boy. I love him so much and would never ever hurt him so please keep that in mind. I’m struggling so much to want to hang out with him recently. He has become so cheeky and just throws everything and spits every where. He screams and shouts and just constantly being a cheeky boy.
I work three days a week and take him to child care on one of those days, the rest of the time he stays with family. I live at home with all my family memebers, it’s just constant arguing A LOT not sure if that play a major roll. I have no authority for him anymore (what ground rules I set for him eg no chocolate the rest of my family meme era just ignore and give him everything).

basically I’m just not happy being a mum at the moment in my life I’m struggling a lot, and it makes me feel even more guilty feeling this way. I have no patience at all and just have become more angry.
Please help in desperate need.

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi Single.Mum2021,

It sounds like you are in a tough spot at the moment, and are not sure where to turn to. We want to assert to you that you’ve come to the right place, and you’ve taken some big steps to reach out for help. Sometimes in these difficult moments it can be helpful to remind ourselves that we are doing the best that we can at any given time, especially within your situation as it sounds like you don’t have much control over your home environment. We feel it can be important to de-escalate arguments at home, particularly when children are witnessing arguments, as this can affect their development and behaviour. Sometimes just taking a few deep breaths and walking away to another room for a few minutes can be enough to clear the air. We can hear the pain that you’re in, and we want to acknowledge the difficulty of being a single parent. We want to emphasise that you are not alone in this, and there are multiple services to aid you.

The first port of call would be Parent Line, which is a confidential, judgement free service to aid parents with support and tips, you can find the appropriate phoneline for your state here:
https://kidshelpline.com.au/parents/issues/how-parentline-can-help-you

In addition, our Beyond Blue support services are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEDT on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of our professional mental health counsellors at our Support Service will give you support and point you in the right direction for help in your area.

We hope our community can be of support to you during this time and we encourage you to keep reaching out when needed.

Thank you so much for responding, I will look into everything you sent.

im struggling with enjoying my time with my son the most at the moment, I will look into the parents line a lot tonight

Hi Single Mum ,

This is my first post on this site. Well done for being brave enough to reach out for help and expressing your feelings so honestly. Hang in there , one day at a time and remember that all things Happen for a reason and although we may not know why or agree with them , I'm certain it's all part of a bigger plan for Ur life. I can't begin to imagine what it's like for you . Keep Ur chin up as best U can ,even if U have to go 1minute at a time. Keep your glass half full and hopefully you will ride out the storm and things will improve for you and your family 😁.

Wayne

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Single.Mum, and a warm welcome to the forums.

Whether or not the arguing is because your family goes against what you have told them not to do, is feasible because he's your son and you want to teach him what's right and what's wrong, but you can't do this when your family disobeys your instructions because no matter what, he is given chocolate in any situation.

The problem may be that every time you try and discipline him, he may go running to another family member who always gives him what he wants, that's where the trouble begins.

If this does happen, then may be you should take away what he was given, he will react but your family has to understand that you are his mother and he has to abide by your rules, and hopefully he will eventually realise that you are the boss.

Can I ask how he behaves at child care and only answer if you want to.

Best wishes.

Geoff.