FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Really worried about my little dog

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi everyone I wasn’t sure which section to put this post so hope here is okay.

My little dog (Poppy) had an ultrasound today which has shown enlargement of her heart, a leaky valve and basically now has canine congestive heart failure. She has been put on two medications which hopefully will help her symptoms, but I’m really worried I’m going to lose her.

Does anyone else have a dog with similar symptoms and, if so, what has the outcome been?

Thank you Jojo

39 Replies 39

Hi david n goliath

Thank you for your support and advice. I will try googling treatment of rather than the diagnosis of congestive cardiac failure as this might be more helpful at this stage.

As far as getting a puppy goes, it sounds great on paper, but the reality is I don’t think I could cope with a young and lively puppy as well as an older dog with medical problems. I don’t think Poppy would cope with that either as young dogs are so energetic and playful.

Best wishes Jojo

Thanks Jojo, some older dogs really appreciate the company of young to medium aged dogs, they like the company.

Quite some time ago I decided I'd be getting all my future dogs in pairs so they have that pack-mate relationship when wife n I aren't around.

keets97
Community Member

Hi Jojo!

How has Poppy been doing the last couple of days?

I do have pets! One German Shepherd x Staffy and one cat who is a Norweigan Forrest Cat. My cat thinks he owns the place and is boss, however my dog quickly reminds my cat who is boss haha.

Hoping that Poppy has been doing okay and good luck for next week! 🙂 I will keep checking on in to see if there has been any updates. I have my fingers crossed for you and Poppy.

Hope you are also doing okay 🙂

Hugs from my pets and me xx

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi Keets

I am happy and relieved to say there has been some improvement in Poppy since starting the medication. She is getting her appetite back and she now comes and wakes me in the morning again. Before that she wasn’t eating and just wanted to sleep.

So I am hopeful we are on the right track. I see the vet again on Thursday so will post again after that.

Glad you’ve got some furry friends to keep you company and keep you sane!

Thanks for your support and hugs 🐾

Best wishes Jojo

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi jojo!

That is great news about Poppy, the meds must be kicking in and making her feel better in herself. She must have been feeling very off poor lass.

Sounds like you're going well there. Let us know how you go with the vet on Thursday. Thinking of you. Cheers 🐕🐾🙂

keets97
Community Member

Hi Jojo!

Awww I am so happy to hear that! Go Poppy! Here's hoping that the vets has a great outcome too! 🙂

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you 🙂

Will talk then, take care and give Poppy a massive cuddle from me 🙂

Keets 🐾

Jojo100
Community Member

Hi everyone

Just an update on Poppy. She is going really well atm and almost back to her usual self.

We didn’t see the vet today as he was off sick. I didn’t want to see another vet as my own vet has seen Poppy from the start and knows her history the best.

We are now booked in for Monday. I am so relieved how well the medications are working and how well Poppy is doing.

Thank you all for caring and for your support.

Jojo 🐾

Yippy! great news Jojo100!

Hugs and ear scratches for Poppy from me!

Hi david ‘n’ goliath

Thanks for your hugs and ear scratches. I am feeling much more positive about Poppy’s future now.

Will post again after we see the vet on Monday.

Cheers Jojo 🐾

Hanna3
Community Member

That's great news about Poppy jojo! I'm so pleased!

Yes let us know how you go on Monday.

So glad she's feeling better! 🙂🐕💖