FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ready to give up

Yeah_
Community Member

I’m ready to give up, but I’m holding on so tight for my kids.

I’m a single mum with extremely horrible depression and anxiety, my anxiety stops me from seeing a doctor to help with my mental health.

it’s getting harder every single day because I feel like if I tell someone about my mental health, then they will judge me.

I know that they won’t but that is what I think! I feel like they will think I’m over exaggerating ,because I’ve had doctors look at me like I’m just being dramatic. sometimes I just wish that They could feel the pain that I’m feeling.

every single day it gets harder but nobody knows how I feel inside because I know how to hide it really well

But i’m afraid if I keep everything inside for much longer that I’m just going to explode

I feel like I’m going crazy.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out tonight. It sounds like you are going through a lot and are trying your best to be there for your children. We all need help sometimes and we think you would really benefit from seeing a doctor and getting some support for your mental health. We know it canbe scary asking for help and talking about your mental health to a GP and it is a big step. Maybe it would be helpful to write a few things down on paper to bring in with you in your appointment, you can give the paper to your GP if you feel uncomfortable talking about things aloud, or use it to read off if you get nervous. Your GP should be able to then refer you to a metal health practitioner.

There is help available and we really want you to be able to have the chance to access it. In the meantime, we strongly urge you to contact our counsellors. We’re available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of our professional mental health counsellors at our Support Service will give you support and point you in the right direction for help in your area or even to talk through some of the emotions you are having tonight.

Please remember you are not going crazy, you are just struggling with your mental health.

Warmest Regards,

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi

Good on you for posting from the heart! I understand your situation as I used to have the same anxiety too except I was a jerk and avoided seeking help for 13 years which made my own symptoms become worse

You are proactive with your children's well being yet your children also depend on your well being....

Your health is paramount....all other considerations are secondary (unfortunately)

any questions are always welcome..I hope you can post back if you wish

my kind thoughts

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Yeah, and a warm welcome.

It's a great achievement to be able to post on the forums and there is no judgement at all on this site, as we have been through similar circumstances and know how you are feeling, and there is the possibility that your doctor may have been through it themselves or have someone in their family or a close friend has been in exactly the same position as you, so they deeply understand how difficult it may be to open up up to them, but their job is to help you, that's what they have been trained to do and need to understand why you have chosen to visit them.

If by chance any other friends have not understood how you are feeling, then they don't realise the situation you're in, but this certainly doesn't mean a doctor will be the same, as I said, they are here for all of us who suffer from any type of depression and their aim is get us to feel much better.

A doctor must be viewed differently than a friend who is also concerned, but your doctor will steer you in the right direction so the appropriate help will benefit you, plus they are always there for follow up appointments.

My doctor who was also a psychologist was the only person I could discuss problems with, that no one else knew about, that was certainly the relief I had in seeing her.

Your first appointment may only need to be a couple of minutes to begin with, but this illness is not something we can recover from by ourselves, we only go around and around in circles, not being able to sort out one problem from another, but someone who is trained can direct us in the right direction, which may be one we haven't even considered.

Please get back to us when you're available.

Geoff.