FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to this forum

Laura1
Community Member

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and thought that this would be a good way to share my experiences with people who "get it".  I'll tell you about myself; I'm 33 years old, and was diagnosed formally with depression and anxiety when I was 24.  (although it was rampant in my life from about the age of 12.)  I have been on medication in the past, but am trying to learn to cope with life without it.  I am currently going through a depressive episode, and it's affecting my relationship with my partner.  I am trying to do different things, like keeping a journal, thinking "happy" thoughts and reflecting on the good things that have happened during the day.  It does get hard sometimes, as I experienced today at work, when I had a bit of a teary, but I feel as though I will get through this eventually.

Hopefully by sharing my thoughts etc online, I will be able to help others with similar situations and experiences.

Cheers

Laura.

5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Laura, I do welcome new people to the forum, but in fact it's not a good position to be in where you are trying to cope with depression.

Trying to journal any good thoughts is a positive, but certainly not easy, because at times we neglect to document them, as we are feeling as though 'what's the point', however if you still can, then these positive points could help you further along the line and especially when you do feel much better.

We all know without doubt that when we suddenly start crying for no apparent reason then there is a great concern that you are suffering from depression, which you have no reason to believe why or nothing that has brought it on, and that's where it catches you, but the worst part is that people don't believe that you have any excuse why you should feel depressed, so then they may criticise you, avoid you or just disregard you, and this only adds to our depression, because nobody wants to listen to us.

If you have had problems with your antidepressants (AD) or feel as though you don't need them for any reason, or feel as though you can cope without them, then this is a very difficult decision, so do we rely on what our partner has said to us, to stop taking them, or do we rely on our own instincts, either way it becomes complicated, and should not be a light decision or one taken at the spur of the moment.

Many people feel as though they are much better and decide to stop taking them, but within a few days their depression returns, and the only reason they are feeling better is because of them taking AD.

I     

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Laura, I'm sorry something happened.

I am just concerned that you could have 'jumped the gun' by stopping, and I'm sorry for saying that, but are you able to talk this issue out with your doctor. Geoff. x

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Laura - I just wanted to add to Geoff's wise post that if you do decide to try getting off ADs only do so under the supervision of your doctor. You probably know this anyway, but sudden withdrawal from ADs can be dangerous. Be careful mate

And welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Kaz

Laura1
Community Member

Thanks for your concern everyone - but I have not been taking an meds since 2010.  I was doing very well without them for quite a few years.  My "black dog" has only reappeared in the last few months.  

I am keeping a journal now too, and am trying to talk to people - although it makes me feel guilty for burdening them with my issues.  People don't want to be around me when I'm in this frame of mind.  I guess i can't blame them.  

Thanks for all your support though.  hopefully I can help others too.

Laura

Hey Laura

I am trying to live my life without medication as well. I am not saying this is the same for everyone. For me personally, I am trying to cope by implementing and changing things in my life to help myself. Such as gradually changing what I eat. Have you done that at all? Also I have been posting here on Beyond Blue for over a month, and this has dramatically improved the way I see life in general. I don't understand all the science behind that, I just know it to be true. And it may not be the same for everyone.

Well I just wanted to say hello to you, and give you a hug.

Shelley xxxx