FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New and....erm, feeling a bit nervous

Auton
Community Member

Hey all - new around here.

Just realised my handle probably isn't the best for these forums - but it's literally a Doctor Who reference as I love that show!.

Hope everyone is ok , especially any Sydney friends that read this - it'll get better!!!

Had a long battle with anxiety and confidence issues. Still going. Tried counselling, worked for a while until my partner and I lost 2 babies back to back, then I kinda shut down.

Used to drink too much in my teens/twenties. Son of an ex junkie (i saved his life by being born essentially). I have same personality traits as my old man so i have removed booze from my life and never touched recreational drugs (except weed as a youngster).

That's the short story lol. Oh and I love Doctor Who, Wrestling (watching not doing lol), Music, Rick and Morty and Gaming.

Why am I here? Well, I always like to invest time to help others, sometimes to a fault lol. I want to get involved, I want to see if I can help people, make people feel more positive, give them advice or just make em laugh. I'm no expert but I thoughtful and wise beyond my 41 years, plus my wife always says I'm really good at this kind of thing and she's usually right haha.

Thanks for reading !!

27 Replies 27

UltimaMic
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

You sound like a good guy - wish I could meet more like you in real life! Was bullied in high school and did not get much support when I started work etc. Gave me massive social anxiety issues which I have thankfully started to manage with the support of my wife, therapy and medication.

Gaming probably saved my life when I was a teen (I have been depressed/anxious for a long time). I used to think if I made it through this day of high school at least I have my PlayStation/Computer at home I can look forward too. I too had problem parents - my mother had depression/anxiety but was undiagnosed as was myself until my 20s so I did not have the best of upbringings. My father sort of did not understand mental health issues at the time and just thought my mum was too emotional.... yep that bad old times of mental health support (this was only 15-20 years ago). I sort of closed myself off emotionally as I saw how my father reacted to my mum, plus being a bloke ... gee in those days you had to try to be a hard nut.

As for games I loved FPS,JRPGs and RTS (Red Alert, AoE, Warcraft). Pretty much played these franchises to death.

I loved the sci-fi genre - Stargate, Star Trek and the like ... I very much enjoy The Expanse recently. I cannot say Dr Who is my cup of tea but I have seen a few episodes. I have good memories of play wrestling with my little bro in the late 90s I think that is when WWF was in its prime. (The Rock, Undertaker etc) was very fun.

It would be great to hear how you manage your anxiety and confidence issues? Exposure therapy was what I used to get myself more social - joined social club etc.... though I kinda got sick of them as I am not really a people person, introverted. I am ok one on one with people but do not like being the center of attention in a group.

UltimaMic
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Tron Legacy - I loved that film & Loved that soundtrack!!!

Electronic Dance Music/Trance of the late 90s and early 2000 is my type of music: Chicane, Daft Punk.... Slower tempos, more chill

No so much a fan of the mainstream modern stuff. But I am finding some good music on Youtube by Indie EDM artists.

Auton
Community Member

Great soundtrack !! AND WOW THATS AMAZING HAHAAA

Jodz.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dr_Jodz my kids aren't that little even though they will be babies to me the twins are 26 and married and my two youngest are 17 and 9.

I enjoyed the first season of Jodie's doctor and they mentioned the timeless child in the second episode and gave us a hint what was to come and then the second season came and from episode one were hit with so much and my brain was working overtime and when they bought in Ruth.It really bought in so much.Sadly some people do not like change in a fictional time traveling show and want to take it out on others.I have been watching since the early 70s and enjoyed the escape it gave me.

Take care,

Mark .

Auton
Community Member

nice, good time for electronic music.

Chemical Bros have always been my faves too, love early Basement Jaxx.

Guest9337
Community Member

yeh I was amazed too, father in law is one tough man, regardless of his 80 year old body and health issues!

He explained to me that as Dr Death he wore a mask. That meant if any other wrestlers dropped out on the show night, he could fill their place by taking off the mask because no one would recognise him.

So he became the back up wrestler also as the group travelled the world doing wrestling shows.

Auton
Community Member

Hey Mark - ooops yeah "kiddies" might be the wrong term haha...

yeah I started watching as a young kid in the 80s as my fave uncle is dr who mad so i've watched days of it with him growing up haha and we still discuss to this day eben tho im here in Aus and he's back home in London.

Yeah, some of the fanbase is 'outraged' by an alien being a women - blew my mind. That's the beauty of Doctor Who - the Doctor can be anything and should be everything. It's got no rules, yet they want to say it always has to be a bloke haha.

take care mate

jodz.

Auton
Community Member
Very cool mate!!

Auton
Community Member

Hey Ultima - SO sorry I completely missed the first post from you and only saw the tron legacy one!! apologies!!

Bullying sounds bad - luckily i never had that happen to me but saw plenty and even twatted a few bullies in my time for picking on/racially abusing younger and much smaller kids haha (not condoning violence but sometimes it can help lol).

Gaming is a FANTASTIC source of escapism and if you can get into a great supportive community it's even more helpful. My wife and i still dabble in Warcraft, such a fantastic game/world.

If I'm honest I'm not sure how I got to terms with anxiety. Not sure i really am. My wife has really helped after being a bit stand offish to start with (not sure she understood) but since then she's been supportive and i think knowing she's in my corner helps. She also stopped me drinking so much or wanting to drink so much and that helped too. Barely touched booze outside of Christmas now, been like that for over 10 years.

A few jobs got me down and knocked my confidence too coz some of my managers were what i call old skool dickheads (boys club types which i don't subscribe too so i always get frozen out) but i need the money so i kinda excepted it, which went against every fibre of my being lol.

Listening to how bad my dad got before i was born helps me with perspective too.

A lot of my strength comes from the desire to be a dad and we're working on that atm again after our 2 loses. So I draw on the future to help me.

I'm just like you in the sense that i can't hack being in a group with people looking at me. If it's a collaborative meeting i'm fine tho... strange!

Jodz

Guest9337
Community Member

Just clicked on Massive Attacks Mezzanine album.

If any posters in this thread are interested i have a thread titled "Software & Gaming, post up your favourites or dislikes" over in bb forums BB Social Zone, it's not getting much action.

Sometime tonight I'm gonna watch Loki episode 6.